Change the Ground texture

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

I want to change from a grass setting into a desert setting, so I need to change the background setting. Why is the keyframe not changing with the background keyframe? You could add this in the next version @Nimi

Also changing biomes and pretty much everything on the background keyframe.

Edited by moniker

4 hours ago, 9redwoods said:

Show us what you mean with either an image or a video. I suggest using Imgur or Streamable.

So you know how you can change the background during an animation (sky color, clouds, fog, etc.) they want to be able to change the ground mid animation. As it currently is that's something that isn't changeable during animation, if you make your ground sand then the ground will be sand for the whole animation and can't be changed throughout.

I don't see how this is entirely useful at all. A lot of problems can be solved with scenery, flatlands are not recommended at all for animation unless its a movement test or a joke (depending on what the person is trying to do). If you going for a serious narrative one, do not use flatlands.

Project properties > Background > ground > change texture

If you want to change the background with keyframes, you need to create a background. Go to the workbench menu and click on the sun. Now the environment is controlled by it.

14 hours ago, JjCinemas said:

So you know how you can change the background during an animation (sky color, clouds, fog, etc.) they want to be able to change the ground mid animation. As it currently is that's something that isn't changeable during animation, if you make your ground sand then the ground will be sand for the whole animation and can't be changed throughout.

The fog can be changed mid-animation, with the environment in the workbench.

7 hours ago, MojangYang said:

Project properties > Background > ground > change texture

If you want to change the background with keyframes, you need to create a background. Go to the workbench menu and click on the sun. Now the environment is controlled by it.

The fog can be changed mid-animation, with the environment in the workbench.

I never said it can't.

Also yes we've establish that, the problem  is the ground can't change mid animation like he wants to

Edited by JjCinemas

On 8/29/2019 at 10:10 PM, 9redwoods said:

Why aren't you using scenery?

Im using scenery.

On 8/29/2019 at 11:16 PM, Slime said:

I don't see how this is entirely useful at all. A lot of problems can be solved with scenery, flatlands are not recommended at all for animation unless its a movement test or a joke (depending on what the person is trying to do). If you going for a serious narrative one, do not use flatlands.

It is enterily useful. The ground is like the horizon, you can cleverly melt it within the schematic scenary. Sometimes a ground that's all water is useful for an scene that happens in an island for instance. So you would need to separate a project in 2 different projects just because you can't animate the ground to change from water into grass or whatever.

On 8/29/2019 at 5:49 PM, 9redwoods said:

Show us what you mean with either an image or a video. I suggest using Imgur or Streamable.

I want to change the ground background texture, you can't do it because the program doesn't register changes in ground texture within the background timeline for some reason.

1 hour ago, moniker said:

It is enterily useful. The ground is like the horizon, you can cleverly melt it within the schematic scenary. Sometimes a ground that's all water is useful for an scene that happens in an island for instance. So you would need to separate a project in 2 different projects just because you can't animate the ground to change from water into grass or whatever.

If you can see the flatlands in your animation you need either

A.) Bigger Scenery

B.) Better Fog and DoF use

Or C.) All of the above.

12 hours ago, Slime said:

If you can see the flatlands in your animation you need either

A.) Bigger Scenery

B.) Better Fog and DoF use

Or C.) All of the above.

No, sometimes blending the ground used as the horizon is very useful to not waste resources in schematics worth hundreds of millions of blocks specially if your computer can't afford huge schematics. For instance an scene with a plane flying over the sea. Why do I need an huge block of water for if I can just change the ground texture as water.

18 minutes ago, moniker said:

No, sometimes blending the ground used as the horizon is very useful to not waste resources in schematics worth hundreds of millions of blocks specially if your computer can't afford huge schematics. For instance an scene with a plane flying over the sea. Why do I need an huge block of water for if I can just change the ground texture as water.

The ground texture as water is very light because it shows the sky under it.

2 hours ago, 9redwoods said:

The ground texture as water is very light because it shows the sky under it.

You can decrease brightness of the texture in paint or something and load it again. The thing is there are uses for the ground texture you just need creativity.

Edited by moniker

59 minutes ago, moniker said:

You can decrease brightness of the texture in paint or something and load it again. The thing is there are uses for the ground texture you just need creativity.

In an actual quality animation you shouldnt seen flatlands at all. And again, Fog and DoF are your best friend if you cant use a massive schematic. same for FoV.

5 minutes ago, Slime said:

In an actual quality animation you shouldnt seen flatlands at all. And again, Fog and DoF are your best friend if you cant use a massive schematic. same for FoV.

With the combination of matching ground texture + good of use schematics + dof i've gotten good results in some angles were you need an horizon to show up which would otherwise be impossible unless you load an insanely long schematic.

1 minute ago, moniker said:

With the combination of matching ground texture + good of use schematics + dof i've gotten good results in some angles were you need an horizon to show up which would otherwise be impossible unless you load an insanely long schematic.

You shouldn't need to use the flatlands for any angle in an animation. Use FoV (Field of View), It will save you loads of effort.

On 8/31/2019 at 9:28 PM, Slime said:

You shouldn't need to use the flatlands for any angle in an animation. Use FoV (Field of View), It will save you loads of effort.

I need to use it in some instances because I know creative ways to use it and save resources trying to make an horizon out of blocks.

On 9/2/2019 at 3:31 PM, moniker said:

I need to use it in some instances because I know creative ways to use it and save resources trying to make an horizon out of blocks.

I didn't once say you had to make a horizon. 3 times now I've told you ways that Don't require you to add more schematics and hide your flatlands. You shouldn't need to use flatlands at all. Camera placement is everything, there's no reason for this to be a thing if there are Simple and Easy solutions to it.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:02 AM, Slime said:

I didn't once say you had to make a horizon. 3 times now I've told you ways that Don't require you to add more schematics and hide your flatlands. You shouldn't need to use flatlands at all. Camera placement is everything, there's no reason for this to be a thing if there are Simple and Easy solutions to it.

The solution is to make the background keyframe register the ground texture changes as it should.

On 9/6/2019 at 4:43 PM, moniker said:

The solution is to make the background keyframe register the ground texture changes as it should.

Your honestly the only person I've seen EVER complain this. there are so many Easy and Quick ways to do it without pestering Nimi. I've told you countless times what you can do to avoid this whole thing and your just brushing it off and insisting your right. Clearly, you cant listen to others. Have a nice day.

15 hours ago, Slime said:

Your honestly the only person I've seen EVER complain this. there are so many Easy and Quick ways to do it without pestering Nimi. I've told you countless times what you can do to avoid this whole thing and your just brushing it off and insisting your right. Clearly, you cant listen to others. Have a nice day.

It doesn't matter if im the only one complaining on this forum about it, there are more users of Mineimator outside of this forum. I also was the only one complaining about the shadow jump glitch when using follow camera and Nimi fixed it, so he gave it enough importance even if I only I complained about it, proving that it was worth fixing. You are wrong about ground texture as horizon having no use, at any rate.

Edited by moniker

6 hours ago, moniker said:

It doesn't matter if im the only one complaining on this forum about it, there are more users of Mineimator outside of this forum. I also was the only one complaining about the shadow jump glitch when using follow camera and Nimi fixed it, so he gave it enough importance even if I only I complained about it, proving that it was worth fixing. You are wrong about ground texture as horizon having no use, at any rate.

I know there are other users than those on the forums. I'm friends with quite a few of them. NONE of them have complained about it. And your complaint about the follow camera shadow glitch was something the program warned you about itself. Nimi fixed it because He saw an issue with it. Not because You said something. This whole ground texture thing is useless when there are MULTITUDES of easy and quick solutions to this that take no time at all to do, not to mention i told you 3 easy to do solutions that you completely ignored 3 or 4 times now. You insisting that these are "wastes of time" and "hard on crappy PCs" is because You think that you speak for everyone. News flash, you don't. Now I'm leaving this here because I'm tired of arguing with someone who clearly cant understand what it means to have a pointless suggestion.

Edited by Slime
typo

On 9/9/2019 at 1:27 AM, Slime said:

I know there are other users than those on the forums. I'm friends with quite a few of them. NONE of them have complained about it. And your complaint about the follow camera shadow glitch was something the program warned you about itself. Nimi fixed it because He saw an issue with it. Not because You said something. This whole ground texture thing is useless when there are MULTITUDES of easy and quick solutions to this that take no time at all to do, not to mention i told you 3 easy to do solutions that you completely ignored 3 or 4 times now. You insisting that these are "wastes of time" and "hard on crappy PCs" is because You think that you speak for everyone. News flash, you don't. Now I'm leaving this here because I'm tired of arguing with someone who clearly cant understand what it means to have a pointless suggestion.

Facts:

1) He fixed because I pointed the glitch out. He didn't notice or considered fixed it before I made the thread.

2) There are uses for the ground texture.

1 hour ago, moniker said:

Facts:

1) He fixed because I pointed the glitch out. He didn't notice or considered fixed it before I made the thread.

I think he just fixed it so that you could calm down on the constant bumping and pinging since everyone else had a workaround in place.

3 hours ago, Voxy said:

I think he just fixed it so that you could calm down on the constant bumping and pinging since everyone else had a workaround in place.

I don’t like his pestering of the developers at all. The glitches don’t bother me. But still, those are factors for improving the software. I mean, it’s a glitch. The less glitches, the better. Right?

I don’t agree with moniker, but I think the small petty glitches discovered should be fixed in the next updates. However that’s the developers choice.

i think nimi fixed it so moniker would calm down, and at the same time improve mine imator just a bit.

Im not picking sides. But oh hell I think I’m gonna get many downvotes. I have to say this, still. I don’t mind the downvotes I just wanna say this.

off topic: amazing how moniker’s threads get revived and last a long time.

ontopic: @moniker just make the animations in multiple projects and edit them with windows movie maker.

Edited by MojangYang

I think sharp wind suggested this you can only animate the background with one instance on the timeline it would be much better if you could have more so you can add more diversity and change more things easier...

at least that is what I think you are suggesting?

40 minutes ago, DragonPixel said:

I think sharp wind suggested this you can only animate the background with one instance on the timeline it would be much better if you could have more so you can add more diversity and change more things easier...

at least that is what I think you are suggesting?

Yes it is