Minecraft sounds library

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Currently, all audio and sounds can be added into mine imator projects, but all of them need to be imported from external audio files, including the minecraft sounds.

SO

I think a library containing all basic minecraft sounds will be extremely helpful.

So when you click the “add sound” button in the audio’s property, instead of being asked to select an audio file immediately, there should be a drop-down menu of 2 selections: one for importing external files, the other for choosing minecraft sounds from a library.

Sounds good on paper, but it's way too impractical in practice.

If you want a neat list like for mobs and special blocks, then you'll need to create an index file for it, that tells the program what categories there are in the UI, and where the files would be located. Since there are almost 1800 sound files, that represents a lot of work to create said list, and it would need to be updated each time a new Minecraft version releases. Not to mention you'd also need to give each file a proper, less cryptic name in the language files, which makes the challenging translation work even more time consuming.

The other problem is that you'll need to load the sound files on startup, along with all the other assets (blocks, models, textures). Currently, said assets only make up 3 megabytes of data. However, throw in the sounds, and suddenly you have to load 160MB worth of files whenever you start Mine-imator, which would slow it down a ton.

So really, the only reasonable solution would be to handle it like default schematics, meaning they're bundled with the program, but you'd still need to browse your files to grab the sound you need, which... isn't too different from how it works now. ?‍♂️

53 minutes ago, Voxy said:

Sounds good on paper, but it's way too impractical in practice.

If you want a neat list like for mobs and special blocks, then you'll need to create an index file for it, that tells the program what categories there are in the UI, and where the files would be located. Since there are almost 1800 sound files, that represents a lot of work to create said list, and it would need to be updated each time a new Minecraft version releases. Not to mention you'd also need to give each file a proper, less cryptic name in the language files, which makes the challenging translation work even more time consuming.

The other problem is that you'll need to load the sound files on startup, along with all the other assets (blocks, models, textures). Currently, said assets only make up 3 megabytes of data. However, throw in the sounds, and suddenly you have to load 160MB worth of files whenever you start Mine-imator, which would slow it down a ton.

So really, the only reasonable solution would be to handle it like default schematics, meaning they're bundled with the program, but you'd still need to browse your files to grab the sound you need, which... isn't too different from how it works now. ?‍♂️

I just wish minecraft would keep using the audio files as the.ogg format. Now the minecraft audio files are almost impossible to get. Currently it’s hard for me because I have to illegally download them from random YouTube people, trim their intro sounds out, and decide whether I should give them credit.

11 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

I just wish minecraft would keep using the audio files as the.ogg format. Now the minecraft audio files are almost impossible to get. Currently it’s hard for me because I have to illegally download them from random YouTube people, trim their intro sounds out, and decide whether I should give them credit.

I've actually been compiling those sounds myself for a while now. :)

Interestingly, the sound files are still there, but they're scattered inside the "assets" folder of the main directory. They also don't have any extensions, and they're given random names like "b68f15789dba02714352f90f2f3f2f966a4360bd". It's still an .ogg file, however! If you took that file and renamed it to add the .ogg extension yourself, it would work!

Back when I started doing this, I actually did all that renaming manually. Thankfully, since then people started making tools to do all that work for you. This is the one I currently use.

On 8/19/2019 at 3:50 AM, MojangYang said:

Currently, all audio and sounds can be added into mine imator projects, but all of them need to be imported from external audio files, including the minecraft sounds.

SO

I think a library containing all basic minecraft sounds will be extremely helpful.

So when you click the “add sound” button in the audio’s property, instead of being asked to select an audio file immediately, there should be a drop-down menu of 2 selections: one for importing external files, the other for choosing minecraft sounds from a library.

I support the idea! Why do we have to download Minecraft sounds from the internet when we can get the template sounds straight from the software? Its a genius idea that can help almost every Mine-Imator user! :)