Sub Surface Scattering or improved Bleed Light

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Sub Surface Scattering is the effect you get when you put your fingers in-front of a flashlight, A lot like the already existing "Bleed Light" Option, However Bleed light has a couple of problems that could be changed,

1. Blurrier Light Bleeding.
- Bleed Light is already a great option in Mine Imator, And Extremely similar to Sub Surface Scattering (SSS), But There's a big difference.
The Images at the end of this post are a comparison of Bleed Light and Sub Surface Scattering/

2. Less Harsh light.
- Something about the Bleed Light Option has very harsh light while SSS Is more subtle and soft. And adds a nice effect to images using it (Thanks to DarthLilo for making the Image with SSS Below.)

3. Inability to Control the effects of Bleed Light
- Bleed Light isn't very flexible of an option, you kinda just turn it on and work with it and a lot of the time it doesn't fit the style of a lot of images. So maybe have it act like a camera setting, You can change the Blur, Intensity and Color of The Bleed Light effect. Its a very subtle effect but it adds a smoothness feel to the image. For those of you who read this thank you. And I hope the Mine Imator Dev Team will take this into consideration. Thanks!
5bc317395be4d63f87738e40deb679ae.png971d63a46ca16bf4566dc66a0c772d19.png

This is a great idea, dunno if it's possible given the limits of GameMaker and/or the devs and/or MI's messy code.

This is about the best look I can get with "Bleed light", but it's still harsh light, and would be nice if it could be softer.

c4.png

I think the most logically possible option would be a setting in a character's properties tab with a few sliders under bleed light like "Strength" and "depth" idk.

'Bleed light' just makes objects only be affected by casted shadows for lighting, not anything special. Its appearance is based on an artifact in the shadow casting method Mine-imator uses, not much room for heavy customization.(Nor would I like to double down on something this hacky, this feature was originally only intended for foliage.) Implementing proper (Screen-space) Subsurface scattering is most the way to go like with Blender 2.8's Eevee engine for other surfaces.

6 hours ago, Nimi said:

'Bleed light' just makes objects only be affected by casted shadows for lighting, not anything special. Its appearance is based on an artifact in the shadow casting method Mine-imator uses, not much room for heavy customization.(Nor would I like to double down on something this hacky, this feature was originally only intended for foliage.) Implementing proper (Screen-space) Subsurface scattering is most the way to go like with Blender 2.8's Eevee engine for other surfaces.

Oh, Thanks for the info though!