Dev update #16: Where's Modelbench?

4 hours ago, MSDOS said:

Will it be possible to add custom colors to the GUI like in mineimator?

The customization options are the same as the current Modelbench beta. This means you can:

• Choose between a light and a dark theme;
  • Pick an accent color, either from a selection of presets or by providing your own color.

It's more restrictive, yes, but it's pretty streamlined. It's easier for the user to pick a main theme and a single color, than having to deal with a dozen of colors (which are, for the most part, supposed to be the same anyways). Besides, this is pretty standard stuff and I believe it'll be more than enough for most people. :)

Noice! Though, uh, question:
There some models that people make that don't require any parts, i.e. cubes, but the current version forces a new part to be made. It would be like trying to move a chest by clicking on it in the viewport, but instead grab the bottom of the chest. Now, I know the lid is parented to the bottom, but the bottom is in another unnecessary part. It makes rotating things slightly more of a pain, where you have to go through the giant list of animation parts in the timeline. 

So, if you haven't guessed it already, is there a way to remove the *requirement* of objects being inside parts? I'm not asking to remove parts or anything, just remove the parts requirement. (I suck at explaining).
So, you know, make the model itself a kind of "part" class, so that way a new part shouldn't have to be made for things like cubes, chairs, tables, etc. that don't have any moving parts. 

I have  three suggestions and a problem with MB:
Suggestion One: For the UV panel and cubes, do what Blockbench does for UV selection. It can allow cubes to have more than one texture on it, a max of six different textures, one on each side. It would also allow for free movement of each UV plane, so that if it's using the same texture, the other UV plane can have a different selection of the texture, rather than a strict selection based on size and placement of the entire cube UV map.

Suggestion Two: For the UV map, again, following Blockbench, allow for higher-res textures, without changing an already-set size of an object. While there then can become texture scale problems, there can be a form of "reset UV scale" button, that resets the UV plane of the specific side to it's default, which allows for complete do-overs. 

Suggestion Three: Allow for .json importing. I don't know how complex that'll be, but it can help with bringing over models from other programs if you decide to not implement the above suggestion. While it may sound dumb, it can help out, in a way, both communities: The MB community, for MI compatibility, and the JSON model program communities. Sounds stupid, but it can get more people into the programs. And if there could be an Export JSON, making each part into a "folder", it can allow for more flexibility with MB. Again, suggestions, ignore em or take em, whichever you would like to do.

Problem: MB rotation. I know someone already covered this in another topic in the MB topic list, but it's a problem that kinda bothers me: rotation. It does not work the same way as MI, with MI being the better rotation alternative to MB rotation. 

While I'm on the subject of asking for features/remove features, is there a way to add some form of IK rigging in MI? Kinda like Blender, but simplified? Having lag and arm IK presets, and working with the size of the arm all together. This could be enabled and disabled in both the shape properties panel in MB and the Object Properties panel in MI. Just a question, and I doubt it'll be implemented.

Sorry for all of this nonsense above, but it's just annoying and informative(?). So, uh, some of these suggestions make Blockbench the better alternative to MB, though rotation in MB is MUCH better than Blockbench. Enjoy this.

Edited by MC19Player
Added some more stuff. Again.

6 hours ago, MC19Player said:

Noice! Though, uh, question:
There some models that people make that don't require any parts, i.e. cubes, but the current version forces a new part to be made. It would be like trying to move a chest by clicking on it in the viewport, but instead grab the bottom of the chest. Now, I know the lid is parented to the bottom, but the bottom is in another unnecessary part. It makes rotating things slightly more of a pain, where you have to go through the giant list of animation parts in the timeline. 

So, if you haven't guessed it already, is there a way to remove the *requirement* of objects being inside parts? I'm not asking to remove parts or anything, just remove the parts requirement. (I suck at explaining).
So, you know, make the model itself a kind of "part" class, so that way a new part shouldn't have to be made for things like cubes, chairs, tables, etc. that don't have any moving parts. 

I have  three suggestions and a problem with MB:
Suggestion One: For the UV panel and cubes, do what Blockbench does for UV selection. It can allow cubes to have more than one texture on it, a max of six different textures, one on each side. It would also allow for free movement of each UV plane, so that if it's using the same texture, the other UV plane can have a different selection of the texture, rather than a strict selection based on size and placement of the entire cube UV map.

Suggestion Two: For the UV map, again, following Blockbench, allow for higher-res textures, without changing an already-set size of an object. While there then can become texture scale problems, there can be a form of "reset UV scale" button, that resets the UV plane of the specific side to it's default, which allows for complete do-overs. 

Suggestion Three: Allow for .json importing. I don't know how complex that'll be, but it can help with bringing over models from other programs if you decide to not implement the above suggestion. While it may sound dumb, it can help out, in a way, both communities: The MB community, for MI compatibility, and the JSON model program communities. Sounds stupid, but it can get more people into the programs. And if there could be an Export JSON, making each part into a "folder", it can allow for more flexibility with MB. Again, suggestions, ignore em or take em, whichever you would like to do.

Problem: MB rotation. I know someone already covered this in another topic in the MB topic list, but it's a problem that kinda bothers me: rotation. It does not work the same way as MI, with MI being the better rotation alternative to MB rotation. 

While I'm on the subject of asking for features/remove features, is there a way to add some form of IK rigging in MI? Kinda like Blender, but simplified? Having lag and arm IK presets, and working with the size of the arm all together. This could be enabled and disabled in both the shape properties panel in MB and the Object Properties panel in MI. Just a question, and I doubt it'll be implemented.

Sorry for all of this nonsense above, but it's just annoying and informative(?). So, uh, some of these suggestions make Blockbench the better alternative to MB, though rotation in MB is MUCH better than Blockbench. Enjoy this.

28fad8a4626137a.png

Yeeee there is a bug in the beta one , when u deket a folder , u cant make another one with the same name of the old one and import it

they say u already have it , change the name

And that makes that thing called unused body part , now i have a lot of it in my oc and i cant delet it cz , its deleted....and i cant find it , and model bench thought its already there idk what going just fix this wAAAAAA

@Nimi

Will the code in ModelBench (or ModelBench models in general) be affected in the Model Bench Alpha?

Idk if that made sense but..

Will the old ModelBench Beta models still work in the new Model Bench Alpha? :thonk:

Edited by Alkaide

On 8/17/2019 at 2:29 AM, Alkaide said:

@Nimi

Will the code in ModelBench (or ModelBench models in general) be affected in the Model Bench Alpha?

Idk if that made sense but..

Will the old ModelBench Beta models still work in the new Model Bench Alpha? :thonk:

There won't be anything the new Modelbench can't handle in pre-existing .mimodel files.(Given they're not corrupted or something.)

7 hours ago, TheVale said:

please add a feature so we can use 2d images as backgrounds so we can from plans

This would require an orthographic view to be useful, and that's not possible to do.

2 hours ago, Voxy said:

This would require an orthographic view to be useful, and that's not possible to do.

What if you set the fov to a really low number? (Or if I’m unmistaken, isn’t there a function for making orthographic cameras?)

6 hours ago, Jake_28 said:

What if you set the fov to a really low number? (Or if I’m unmistaken, isn’t there a function for making orthographic cameras?)

There is, Nimi tried implementing that but it doesn't work. I guess a low FOV could work but that's up to Nimmers.

when he came out i created a character rig with fingers that change with the textures and an almost complete facial rig ... it was a nightmare, I even had to create technical blueprints applying engineering and physical principles to find a desirable result ... na, the truth was not a nightmare, it was an incredible challenge.

The next version promises to be very flexible with what it proposes