Water Fresnel Experiment

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

6 hours ago, YoGames Studios said:

Does it use a gradient textue in the mask to get the fresnel?

It uses fog on the water surface in the mask to generate a gradient. This was to ensure it would work with a moving camera, but unfortunately, due to a step I've added that brings another layer of recursion, the reflection isn't updating fast enough, causing it to fall out of sync.

11 hours ago, Davi12345 said:

the shadow in reflection got glitched, but ?

Unfortunately, yeah. While the sun quality was maxxed out, having two sceneries side by side means you can't really control the shadows well on both.

2 minutes ago, Voxy said:

It uses fog on the water surface in the mask to generate a gradient. This was to ensure it would work with a moving camera, but unfortunately, due to a step I've added that brings another layer of recursion, the reflection isn't updating fast enough, causing it to fall out of sync.

Unfortunately, yeah. While the sun quality was maxxed out, having two sceneries side by side means you can't really control the shadows well on both.

The fog would have been my second quess. But this mirror update issue should disapear after restarting MI.

I tried to replicate the effect so that it works in an animation and it worked quite well. I don't know how you did it but I see no reson for another layer. Also, I think in your case you don't have to make a copy of your scene. You should be able to just mirror the camera movement, since it doesn't seam like anything gets in the way of the camera, or do I miss something?

How i did it:
I'm not that much of an artist though.

giphy.gif

T0ksMaG.png   only 1 scenerie

3 minutes ago, YoGames Studios said:

I tried to replicate the effect so that it works in an animation and it worked quite well. I don't know how you did it but I see no reson for another layer. Also, I think in your case you don't have to make a copy of your scene. You should be able to just mirror the camera movement, since it doesn't seam like anything gets in the way of the camera, or do I miss something?

[snip]

I wanted to remove the additive layer where the fresnel effect is at its strongest to get as close to a mirror aspect as possible. Thus, my additive layer is a composite itself (of the mask multiplied to the base plate)

2 minutes ago, Voxy said:

I wanted to remove the additive layer where the fresnel effect is at its strongest to get as close to a mirror aspect as possible. Thus, my additive layer is a composite itself (of the mask multiplied to the base plate)

I see, this of cause will make the reflection cleaner. Also: Instead of adding the last layer you can also try to screen it, wich could work better some times (it prevents overexposure). Did you try to restart MI? I also had some situations in wich the image was not in sync anymore, but after restarting, I was able to coposite up to 4 compositions (from other cameras) together.

1 minute ago, YoGames Studios said:

I see, this of cause will make the reflection cleaner. Also: Instead of adding the last layer you can also try to screen it, wich could work better some times (it prevents overexposure). Did you try to restart MI? I also had some situations in wich the image was not in sync anymore, but after restarting, I was able to coposite up to 4 compositions (from other cameras) together.

I can't test it right now but I'll give it a try once I can!

On 7/25/2019 at 9:02 PM, YoGames Studios said:

How i did it:
I'm not that much of an artist though.

giphy.gif

T0ksMaG.png   only 1 scenerie

How did you make this? I know it using a camera,But How you take it into the Water so it looks like a reflections?