How to make PERFECTLY SMOOTH pick up/throw animations

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

I have seen a lot of animations using the same method to pick up items. It does not look professional, so I decided to show all you peoples how to do it smoothly

in the end, you should get something like this https://streamable.com/eqa26 (hopefully better than this xd)

Starting off, for the item pickup, you need to start off by animating the character when he is going over to pick it up. Now you want to parent the item of choice to his hand. Position and rotate the item in his hand in the certain position that you want him to pick it up from. Now, duplicate the character (if your scenery is very laggy, you can delete extrusions on the duplicate.) Make the alpha of the rig set to 0. delete previous keyframes except for the keyframes that shows him picking up the item. On the original character, make the item's alpha also set to 0 and leave the duplicate's alpha alone for now. Okay, now on the keyframe right after the pickup frame on the duplicate, set the alpha of the item to 0 and do the opposite for the original sword. Now you can go on and animate the original character to pick up the item. 

Throwing is similar, just reversed (kinda, idk). Make the animation where the character is 1/4th (i think) way through throwing it and when the item is about to go out of his hand. Pretty much do the same things from the pick up tut with the throw tut. Then, animate the item to be thrown somewhere.

Have any questions or want me to do a video tutorial for further explanation? Let me know.

in summary, duplicate characters, keyframe alpha, and don't be lazy

6 hours ago, Davi12345 said:

ppl make that animation smooth than u but still a good tutorial for beginner.

He's more so talking about the transition between an unparented to a parented object, which actually has some decent tips i may take into account