Multiple Timeline Suggestion

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Hello, my name is Alkaide.

While I was sitting and working on my project, clicking and tapping my mouse and keyboard. Something popped out of my head while looking at one thing.

The Timeline.

unknown.png

Timeline is where we animate our characters and models for our animations. We create an instance of our model, put it in the world, then we start making keyframes on different frames and make configurations of this model to create the illusion of movement.

I have noticed that no one actually has suggested something like this, or has it been done but I have not seen it? But nevertheless, I am here to express my suggestion for the timeline section of Mine-imator.

Multiple Timelines.

unknown.png

First thing I have noticed with the timeline is that it's not similar with the tab below.

unknown.png

Now I thought to myself, what if we had multiple timelines?

unknown.png

Don't really mind how many Timelines we can get. Maybe we can get 2 - 3, or 2 - INFINITE? The decision is up to the user to how many timelines will he have.

That's the main idea of this topic. But I'm going to divide this topic in a few ways to make it understandable.

WHAT . HOW . WHY

<> WHAT IS "MULTIPLE TIMELINES" ? <>

Multiple Timelines is where the user is able to configure how many timelines he may have in a project. This is not a SETTING feature but instead a "Project Feature", (Setting features are similar to color interfaces and preferences and goes with you from different projects).

To configure or decide how many timelines you would want to have in a project, here's my illustration.

unknown.png

I don't really have any idea with the limits of number of timelines, but let's say I want 3 timelines for this project.

Now, three timelines are created.

Timeline A.

unknown.png

Timeline B.

unknown.png

Timeline C.

unknown.png

But Alkaide, why does Timeline B and C do not have the Steve and Cube?

We'll get to there, Billy.

<> HOW DOES "MULTIPLE TIMELINES" WORK? <>

Well, this may sound complicated- but I'll try to go through this one by one.

1. You can decide where does one instance go on which timeline.

For example, let's say you have Cube. Forgive me for these illustrations.

unknown.png

You can decide where "Cube" goes on which timeline.

unknown.png

As we see here, Cube is in Timeline A- but I want it to be in B too!

unknown.png

Now when we look in the timeline; we see it like this.

Cube is in Timeline A.

unknown.png

Cube is in Timeline B.

unknown.png

Same method goes to putting Cube in Timeline C too. Just check the box and Cube will appear in all three Timelines.

But Alkaide, is it also possible to remove Cube in Timeline A?

Yes Billy, simply by unchecking the box in Timeline A removes Cube from TImeline A.

But Alkaide, what if all boxes are unchecked, would the Cube disappear?

Good observation Billy, I haven't really thought about that one. But I think a notification will pop up saying "You cannot remove all timelines for an instance!". Similar like that.

LAGGY PC. TOPIC IS STILL UNDONE. STILL EDITING. POSTING INCASE MY PC DIES AND I LOSE EVERYTHING. 9:36 PM 7/2/2019

14 minutes ago, KaryuGraphics said:

don't see a point in this really.

really!?  This would help so much with organisation. Imagine you are animating a village scene, with a lot of things to animate, the one timeline wood get very messy very fast, this wood be a huge help.

1 hour ago, DragonPixel said:

really!?  This would help so much with organisation. Imagine you are animating a village scene, with a lot of things to animate, the one timeline wood get very messy very fast, this wood be a huge help.

If you want organization, use folders.

Since some rigs can require a lot of scrolling to move around in the Timeline, having multiple Timelines for this sort of thing is a great idea.

Certainly much better than putting the rigs into folders, because:

1. Expanding/Collapsing the folders' contents constantly is tedious, especially with particularly large/complex rigs.
  2. When they're expanded, you now have even more scrolling to do due to the additional folders on the Timeline.

So instead, switching between different rigs to animate is as simple as one click, to switch between Timelines.

15 hours ago, KaryuGraphics said:

literally no point in downvoting because me and jake have different opinions than you guys

it would still be better. with folders, you still have to open up a bunch of stuff if you want to animate the parts inside them, and you can get lost if you're trying to look for one specific thing. with multiple timeline tabs, you could have just a few things in each, and you could switch between them quickly.