Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Hi guys. My friend is learning to animate and right now i can see that he needs help. I made some constructive (maybe) comments, now I need experts to talk to him.

he doesn’t have a mi forum account so please comment on his channel. Be constructive.

I can tell if an animation is good or not, but there is only so much I can do for him. I am new too.

feel free to ask me anything

WHY CAN’T I PUT IT IN AS A LINK

Edited by MojangYang

On 6/6/2019 at 3:46 PM, hiendiep55 said:

The head looks off

You just turned this girl into owl or something

I’m asking this for him now everyone assumes I made it. ? 

Edited by MojangYang

On 6/5/2019 at 5:53 PM, MojangYang said:

Hi guys. My friend is learning to animate and right now i can see that he needs help. I made some constructive (maybe) comments, now I need experts to talk to him.

he doesn’t have a mi forum account so please comment on his channel. Be constructive.

I can tell if an animation is good or not, but there is only so much I can do for him. I am new too.

feel free to ask me anything

WHY CAN’T I PUT IT IN AS A LINK

I will take my time to go through every second and point out things you/your friend can edit for the second draft, if there will be one. Note, I am writing this response at 3:19AM (or currently 4:01AM as how dedicated I am to write this whole thing out.) so there will be errors in my own judgement or writing. Good luck with your animations though, don't take it too strongly, keep going and stay inspired. :)

Here goes!~

I've put everything in this spoiler to help not overload the thread with post size. TL;DR? Give more time into production, take breaks, make a story board. You'll figure it out. :)

Spoiler

• (0:00) Consider adding a background, if the computer is able to render multiple .schematics on screen at once, or at least in the background where the camera faces the most. You don't need a full 360 degree location if you are only facing one angle. If you are building a romantic scene, look for examples to help inspire you. There should be a beach .schematic that comes with Mineimator, or have one imported with McEdit, or ask for a scenery from someone who can help you. Or choose a bridge, city park under a lamppost with a bench, just let it come to you, you'll think of a good romantic scene.
  • (0:00) Continuing from the background: Scene is too dark, is the only light source coming from the male character's eyes?  Try to include more dynamic lighting to make the scene feel more alive, less cold and hollow. Have you tried experimenting an idea of having the sunset behind the two characters?
  • (0:02-0:04) Good walk intro, however the walking animation continues after the character stops to stand still.
  • (0:05) Good introduction to the second character, however the framing has been glitched during animation. Perhaps there was a mistake in how far you have rotated objects without noticing? I have made this error several times before I have realized the mistake, and I do my best to avoid it by paying attention to how far I rotate every object at once. You can figure out and practice bending and rotations and see that works best without it turning into a Halloween episode or a Fallout 76 error.
  • (0:06-0:07) Suggestion! Have the female character in her own scene for a few seconds, brand new to the current animation, as if it is in the eyes of the male character, showing his perspective that he thinks the female character is attractive, usually the cliche is to have hearts of some sort, but you don't need to include this additional scene, but it will add production quality as it is not one single shot panning across the entire video. Adding extra scenes from other shots that aren't a single pan would add run time, and allow more of the music to play. You'll think of something! :D
  • (0:07) Rose should appear after some interaction takes place, such as a hey, or embarrassment. The flowers comes almost instantaneous. Can you try to parent the flower to the male character's hand so it follows his arm movement more naturally as it shows on screen?
  • (0:08 - 0:10) This stuttering problem can be solved by introducing a second scene where the female is the main focus, where she already has the flower instead of it being brought towards her with Jedi force. The female character can instead bring it up to the center of view for a moment and express her gratitude before the scene cuts back to the main scene with the two characters in view to continue the story.
  • (0:11) The flower moves as it is not a parent to the female character's hand, there is a rotation that is causing the flower to move on its own. You can solve this by adding a new flower object specifically for the female character to hold, and hide the original flower to not exist on screen. This second flower can be introduced after the previous additional scene solution. The female character may be trying to tilt her head in happiness, or to be cute, however it is on the same pace as the flower and isn't clearly understood fast enough. The male character's arm is still left as it were, it should return to a more comfortable position. Can I recommend to have the male character's face look more happy that she has accepted the flower?
  • (0:12-0:13) Awkward black pause, I've done this before too often, try to practice with video editing, or the pacing of the fade-to-black transition, there's away to make it look good if you play around with it some more.
  • (0:13) Black text on a dark background will be hard to read, and hard to see. You should make it white, or light-grey so it can stand out more. Interesting camera pan to get it into one view, as if its still the same animation. This can be fixed by timing your camera movement at the right moment and using different keyframe animations such as 'instant.' The angle you chose is interesting, but, can it be more effective if you want straight on, unless of course that you add background elements that will fill the negative space in the background behind the characters.
  • (0:13) Continuing: The female character seems to be merging into the male character's arm, I am guessing this was done to have a close touch, and some things may or may not be exactly possible to do, but there is still a way to change it to where it will work, look good, and get the idea you have intended for. The fade-to-black starts too soon, you will not have enough time to read. Can I suggest that you say 'Thank you,' or rewrite the ending in a way that makes you more appear confident and shows you believe in what you have made and that you're more proud to show it?

My final thoughts:

Have you thought about the song and the lyrics that the song uses? There is a thing called context, if you chose to use words in a song that you believe are about love, but may be misunderstood as a false and cheated relationship, the animation may be confusing. I took the time to do a quick Google search for the lyrics, and it seems to be a story of a man cheating on another woman, and the woman singing expresses her disdain and how it felt to go through this experience. Its ok, I've made mistakes like this before where I chose a song I thought was really really cool but did not understand the context because I was too young or didn't know the meaning.

Or did you plan to make the animation around the guy's perspective on the event of not being aware he was caught in the act?

Lyrics and source video in spoiler below, again, to help decrease post size for the thread.

Spoiler

[Verse 2]
I think you understand you messed up
But now how dare you even mention love
Love is the last thing that you give to me
And don't you even think to lie
Don't you even think to lie
There are no words that you could ever say
To erase the hurt you send my way
After returning from recovery
I bet you wish that you were mine
Bet you wish that you were mine

As a person in the YouTube comments in one video has said; "An agonizing stab in the back. Brutally heartbreaking." (olofpalme63)

Edited by KrisFirebolt
fixing errors

20 hours ago, KrisFirebolt said:

I will take my time to go through every second and point out things you/your friend can edit for the second draft, if there will be one. Note, I am writing this response at 3:19AM (or currently 4:01AM as how dedicated I am to write this whole thing out.) so there will be errors in my own judgement or writing. Good luck with your animations though, don't take it too strongly, keep going and stay inspired. :)

Here goes!~

I've put everything in this spoiler to help not overload the thread with post size. TL;DR? Give more time into production, take breaks, make a story board. You'll figure it out. :)

•   Hide contents

• (0:00) Consider adding a background, if the computer is able to render multiple .schematics on screen at once, or at least in the background where the camera faces the most. You don't need a full 360 degree location if you are only facing one angle. If you are building a romantic scene, look for examples to help inspire you. There should be a beach .schematic that comes with Mineimator, or have one imported with McEdit, or ask for a scenery from someone who can help you. Or choose a bridge, city park under a lamppost with a bench, just let it come to you, you'll think of a good romantic scene.
    • (0:00) Continuing from the background: Scene is too dark, is the only light source coming from the male character's eyes?  Try to include more dynamic lighting to make the scene feel more alive, less cold and hollow. Have you tried experimenting an idea of having the sunset behind the two characters?
    • (0:02-0:04) Good walk intro, however the walking animation continues after the character stops to stand still.
    • (0:05) Good introduction to the second character, however the framing has been glitched during animation. Perhaps there was a mistake in how far you have rotated objects without noticing? I have made this error several times before I have realized the mistake, and I do my best to avoid it by paying attention to how far I rotate every object at once. You can figure out and practice bending and rotations and see that works best without it turning into a Halloween episode or a Fallout 76 error.
    • (0:06-0:07) Suggestion! Have the female character in her own scene for a few seconds, brand new to the current animation, as if it is in the eyes of the male character, showing his perspective that he thinks the female character is attractive, usually the cliche is to have hearts of some sort, but you don't need to include this additional scene, but it will add production quality as it is not one single shot panning across the entire video. Adding extra scenes from other shots that aren't a single pan would add run time, and allow more of the music to play. You'll think of something! :D
    • (0:07) Rose should appear after some interaction takes place, such as a hey, or embarrassment. The flowers comes almost instantaneous. Can you try to parent the flower to the male character's hand so it follows his arm movement more naturally as it shows on screen?
    • (0:08 - 0:10) This stuttering problem can be solved by introducing a second scene where the female is the main focus, where she already has the flower instead of it being brought towards her with Jedi force. The female character can instead bring it up to the center of view for a moment and express her gratitude before the scene cuts back to the main scene with the two characters in view to continue the story.
    • (0:11) The flower moves as it is not a parent to the female character's hand, there is a rotation that is causing the flower to move on its own. You can solve this by adding a new flower object specifically for the female character to hold, and hide the original flower to not exist on screen. This second flower can be introduced after the previous additional scene solution. The female character may be trying to tilt her head in happiness, or to be cute, however it is on the same pace as the flower and isn't clearly understood fast enough. The male character's arm is still left as it were, it should return to a more comfortable position. Can I recommend to have the male character's face look more happy that she has accepted the flower?
    • (0:12-0:13) Awkward black pause, I've done this before too often, try to practice with video editing, or the pacing of the fade-to-black transition, there's away to make it look good if you play around with it some more.
    • (0:13) Black text on a dark background will be hard to read, and hard to see. You should make it white, or light-grey so it can stand out more. Interesting camera pan to get it into one view, as if its still the same animation. This can be fixed by timing your camera movement at the right moment and using different keyframe animations such as 'instant.' The angle you chose is interesting, but, can it be more effective if you want straight on, unless of course that you add background elements that will fill the negative space in the background behind the characters.
    • (0:13) Continuing: The female character seems to be merging into the male character's arm, I am guessing this was done to have a close touch, and some things may or may not be exactly possible to do, but there is still a way to change it to where it will work, look good, and get the idea you have intended for. The fade-to-black starts too soon, you will not have enough time to read. Can I suggest that you say 'Thank you,' or rewrite the ending in a way that makes you more appear confident and shows you believe in what you have made and that you're more proud to show it?

My final thoughts:

Have you thought about the song and the lyrics that the song uses? There is a thing called context, if you chose to use words in a song that you believe are about love, but may be misunderstood as a false and cheated relationship, the animation may be confusing. I took the time to do a quick Google search for the lyrics, and it seems to be a story of a man cheating on another woman, and the woman singing expresses her disdain and how it felt to go through this experience. Its ok, I've made mistakes like this before where I chose a song I thought was really really cool but did not understand the context because I was too young or didn't know the meaning.

Or did you plan to make the animation around the guy's perspective on the event of not being aware he was caught in the act?

Lyrics and source video in spoiler below, again, to help decrease post size for the thread.

Reveal hidden contents

[Verse 2]

As a person in the YouTube comments in one video has said;

Thanks Heaps!

On 6/6/2019 at 3:46 PM, hiendiep55 said:

The head looks off

You just turned this girl into owl or something

On 6/11/2019 at 7:08 PM, KrisFirebolt said:

Here goes!~

•   Reveal hidden contents

My final thoughts:

Reveal hidden contents

[Verse 2]

As a person in the YouTube comments in one video has said;

But seriously why would I say my friend made it if i made it? Stop assuming it’s me i did not make it. I would never use other people’s rigs and not making use of them properly. Also why would my animating skills “deprove” so quickly? I did not say it’s my friend cuz i made it and i’m Ashamed of it, I DID NOT MAKE IT dammit I’m trying to help HIM! Look at his channel! That’s not even my channel. Look inside the comment section I actually helped him a lot.

I’M NOT HIDING ANYTHING HERE, allry’?

On 6/12/2019 at 8:02 PM, MojangYang said:

But seriously why would I say my friend made it if i made it? Stop assuming it’s me i did not make it. I would never use other people’s rigs and not making use of them properly. Also why would my animating skills “deprove” so quickly? I did not say it’s my friend cuz i made it and i’m Ashamed of it, I DID NOT MAKE IT dammit I’m trying to help HIM! Look at his channel! That’s not even my channel. Look inside the comment section I actually helped him a lot.

I’M NOT HIDING ANYTHING HERE, allry’?

but we're not assuming you made it

skip to 0:50

Edited by Gfamleit
lel