Mine-imator cloud rendering on Linux

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Again, most people on this forum from my experience a few years back, I got a lot of hate for using wine (wine is not emulator) to run Mine-imator on Linux

But if you could run Mine-imator on Linux it would bring a lot of benefits even to the Windows users, because the cloud mainly runs on Linux, so people, or even you yourselves could start a business rendering people's projects at high speed, and a button on the Windows version to send it to a server.

Also I don't use Windows, I use Linux, MacOS and iOS. A full version on Linux, as-well as a cloud rendering server would also be nice, but it might only cater to a very small percentage of your audience

A fellow Linux/Unix user here! Unfortunately Mine-Imator is written using GameMaker Studio, of all things. That wouldn't be much of a problem by itself but Mine-Imator relies on DirectX for rendering and other libraries written and compiled for Windows systems in order to make up for the shortcomings of GMS.

A port isn't completely un-viable in the future but as of now it can't be done because everything would need to be rewritten to an extent to fit *nix systems. I'm not sure whether MI uses some edge-cases which requires it to use DirectX, even though I believe OpenGL is available for GameMaker but either way it'd be a very hefty job which nobody is ready for as of now.

If you're interested in the source code then you can find it here at David's Github.