Crash adding multible transparent images (zip with log, project, video)

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Alright, some background first.
This is for a non-minecraft project, but I figured mine-imator would suit me fine for this, as I am familiar with it, and have already tried other tools, not finding any tool that seem more practical than Mineimator.
My plan is to animate my character by some form of stop animation, replacing (hiding & showing) the images to create the "animation", if it could be called that.
I decided to start with adding the head. I did my best to reduce the number of images total by splitting the avatar-character's head into as many components as possible.
Now, I don't know if this is relevant, but since this might be an edge case, I figure this is worth mentioning.
So, the result of this was a large number of image files that are like 95-99% transparent. (See linked zip with project files)
I decided not to crop my images, so to ensure all the parts remain proportional.

After adding a good number of those images, going though the necessary process of adjusting the render depth, folder hierarchy and frame visibility, all of them one by one...

Mine-imator decide to crash.

I load the latest save and repeat what I did last. Crash.

I did it slightly differently, got another image or two in... crash.

Now, I normally work using Linux (Linux Mint 18.3), by the help of Wine/Proton (Proton 3.16-8, via a Steam shortcut. Yes, that is a thing), so at first I suspected the crash was some kind of compatibility issue.
So, to test that, I dug out my old laptop (Windows 8.1), downloaded the newest version of Mine-Imator, copied my files over, and simplified a test.

Enter this .zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdyj0e7t7rvxqnc/The kvavatar project problem.zip?dl=0

(Since OBS decided to die during recording, I ended up using a sub-par screen-recorder I still somewhy had installed on the old thing. So, that's why the video recording is an flv.)

I recreated the project, saving for each expression-variant I made, until the crash came.
It was a little over half the number of images needed for the head. (still got the body and backgrounds to add in too)

So, as I did before on my main computer, I restarted and re-did what I did before.. and crash.

Then I did it again, but this time with a (crappy) screen recorder.

I don't know what is wrong, but since Windows asked, I had it start up good old Visual Studio to tell me what kind of crash it was.
Not surprisingly, all it could tell me, was that Mine-imator had an unhandled exception at 0x015458CE, trying to write to 0x00000000.
Yeah, a very generic "uh no, a null-pointer! Better go crash now!" situation.

I would really appreciate this being fixed, or a working workaround found, as my current workflow is a bit.. well, overly complicated, and even more of a hack than this solution.
But hey, at least that one works.

Edited by KvaGram

20 minutes ago, Cubic Ralsei said:

you should simply use 1 surface, since you can keyframe textures.

Thanks, I will test and see if that works out.
That being said, there would need to be more than just one surface.
Since what I am putting together are components, not full images.

(...)

Tested by deleting the existing surfaces and folders in the project, and added in new ones with new textures.
Mine-imator crashed after two new textures were added.

Edited by KvaGram