Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

How to Break/Shatter Glass!

Sooner or later (if you haven't already) you'll come across a point where you need a glass pane or a window to break! Doing that is sometimes tricky, but it only matters you take on it right!
As usually, there are 2 methods you can do this with:

First method - Particles! - (easier to create, more practical, not as realistic)

You want to make a custom image for particles. I best recommend you to copy Mine Imator's original one and modify it, so you know what you're doing (but be sure to COPY it, not take the original!). Mine Imator --> Data --> Minecraft --> the .zip file --> assets --> minecraft --> textures --> particle. On the image, you should see a bunch of familiar states of Minecraft particles. At the same time, you should open the glass block texture, which can be found in the same directory; ... textures --> block. Then select parts of the glass texture you want to use as particles and paste them in the particle texture over existing particles (replace existing particles with bits of the glass block - that's why you needed to copy the image).
Once you have added 5 glass particles or so, save the image anywhere, and save it with the .png format!

From then, open Mine Imator and make a new particle spawner. Set the spawn rate not to be constant and determine how you want particles to move (assuming you know how they work - if not, i'm making a tutorial on particle spawners once the idea gets voted). When determining the particle, select the texture we've just made and click on one of the glass pieces we've added in as a particle.
Lastly, on the point of impact, make the glass block invisible and make the particle spawner summon the glass particles - your glass block just shattered!

Spoiler

PkbwhQP.png

Second method - Items! - (as realistic as it gets, harder to create and even harder to animate)

For this part, we're going to be using an itemsheet - i'll include a download link to several itemsheet presets i made on the bottom of this post. Do the same as we did with the particle method, but we need to use up all pixels of the glass block, so if you put all the items thogether, you'd get a face of the glass block - which is exactly what we're doing right now.
Open Mine Imator and import a new item, change it's texture to the texture of the itemsheet with glass we've just made. Select the first item texture and place it somewhere, then adjust it's rotation point, so the item is in the center (it usually only requires you to adjust the Y value). Add more items until you build the glass block face and all items have their rotation points in the center.
Then place all your items in a folder and duplicate it 5 times until you build the entire glass block. If you want to animate the glass block shattering, you need to animate each item flying out of the block.

Spoiler

BXurCML.png

If you want to animate the items flying out in an arc, place individual items in a folder. Then move the item outwards with a linear transition and rotate it as you wish. Then create the first and the last keyframe on the folder and raise the folder up in the middle of the action. From then just give an "ease out" transition to the first folder keyframe and an "ease in" to the second one.

For anyone who is confused with the explanation above, i've also made a video tutorial explaining it:

Spoiler

Itemsheet presets link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/hc6s2ypwyd741rc/Sharp's+Itemsheet+Presets.zip

~Stay Sharp

Or there could be Method Three:

You could combine methods 1 and 2 to create a somewhat realistic yet simple glass break.

In the particle editor, you can set the particle type to be either Sprites, Entities, or Blocks.

If you make the particle type to Entities, you could import the 3D shards from method 2 and use each one as particles in the particle editor.

The result isn't that realistic compared to method 2, but makes it a heck of a lot easier to animate.

Hope this helps!