"rotate around an angle" for an object

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

Is there a way to do this? it would be extremely useful for for instance make a car turn in a curve (go from straight line to turn in a curve). Animating this is an innecessary pain in the ass if we had something better, like simialr to how you can "rotate around an angle" with the camera, but for an object, so you set up the angle, adjust distance, and it would look like it goes throught a curve smoothly. Animating this keyframe by keyframe is just insanity.

6 answers to this question

44 minutes ago, Jake_28 said:

You can use folders for this, put the folder's pivot where you want to rotate, parent the thing you want rotated to the folder, and move it to he desired position, then rotate the folder!

Yes, but the "custom rotation point" cannot be animated, so you are stuck with the same distance, and you would need different distances depending on how steep the curve is..

2 minutes ago, moniker said:

Yes, but the "custom rotation point" cannot be animated, so you are stuck with the same distance, and you would need different distances depending on how steep the curve is..

Just move the object and / or the folder

15 minutes ago, Jake_28 said:

Just move the object and / or the folder

Then what you are trying to solve (reducing a clusterf*ck of programing keyframes) becomes a new problem. Honestly the way mineimator deals with anything that isn't a straight line is so lame, we need something better than this.

Edited by moniker

4 hours ago, moniker said:

Then what you are trying to solve (reducing a clusterf*ck of programing keyframes) becomes a new problem. Honestly the way mineimator deals with anything that isn't a straight line is so lame, we need something better than this.

there's already a very easy solution, like what Jake said. We all deal with it, and it's not even a big deal that there are three more subjects added to the timeline.

I believe I understand what you're wanting. But this can easily be created using folders if I show my examples here:

To recreate what I have shown:

251a6af0166d26325cac6242431338e8.png
First have 3 folders ready and your object/vehicle in the last folder.

47baa065dbcaa46d1897be9e6fc471a8.png
Have your rotation set up a few feet (or blocks) away from how you want your vehicle/object to turn
50b952b730b0a0530c83fe1ee073053a.png
Then move your second folder away from the 1st folders position

Now for the turning here's how it goes:
35bcca92db659e1845d72b17da01b552.gif

For this I did a simple ease in and ease out (sine) 90 degree turn for the drift to move in. The other 2 folders have their own positions animated for moving forward in a straight line.

If you would like more help on this please feel free to ask me.

Edited by Mineshaft Animation
video didn't render out correctly x2