How to add drawing-esque lines to your wallpapers! [GIMP]

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Have you ever wanted to add a sense of hand-drawn whimsy to your art, to imitate the style of a heartfelt anime scene or make it feel like an action comic? Well you're in luck, cuz I know a trick that can give your creation nice-looking lines, and it's actually pretty simple!

Step 1: Open your desired picture in GIMP.

lHcDzwc.png

Step 2: Duplicate the picture and select the one on top in order to preserve the original image.

O5EcZh2.png

Step 3: In the Filters tab, find Edge-Detect and choose one of the available options (I chose the Edge option with the Laplace algorithm, but you don't have to) Then contour it until you think the lines look good.

bMFDudQ.png

Step 4: Select and delete the black outside of the lines.

rVdePXI.png

Step 5: Use the Hue-Chroma tool to turn the lines black.

UfCSOHi.png

Optional step: Use the Median Blur filter in the Blur filter tab to make your lines thicker if you feel like it!

XFc2GYC.png

Once it's all done, your creation should look pretty nice! I hope you guys found this tutorial helpful! ;D

1 minute ago, YoshiHunter said:

That looks cool! Now if there is a more efficient way to put it into an actual animation...

Yeah, it'd be awesome if there was some editing software with all the available filters of GIMP but that'd be super hard to create.

3 minutes ago, YoshiHunter said:

I may have to spend my weekend messing with shotcut to find the correct filters to replicate this.

Wait, is there even any edge-detection filter in Shotcut? If there is, I gotta test it.
EDIT: Nope, I looked and there ain't a single filter for edge-detection.

Edited by BaconSandwich