Select the entire thing instead of part of a rig

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

So imagine you have a rig with a bunch of stuff on it. You typically click on the rig because you want to move it somewhere else, but instead the part where you clicked is selected so the entire thing on the timeline is opened, so you have to close it, then you have to move it, when you just wanted to select the position of the entire thing.

Perhaps shift+click could always select the entire thing and not the part of something.

Just now, moniker said:

Yes really. You have to first deselect everything by clicking on the sky which is a dumb ass step, and sometimes you don't want to have the schematic locked if you have stuff parented on it.

or double click the selected object.

2 minutes ago, Slime said:

or double click the selected object.

Why would I need to find out what I have select in a long ass timeline in order to double click it, seriously now. Just either add a control+other key shortcut to deselect everything or add shift+click method. It would save time objectively.

Just now, moniker said:

Why would I need to find out what I have select in a long ass timeline in order to double click it, seriously now. Just either add a control+other key shortcut to deselect everything or add shift+click method. It would save time objectively.

Click it in the work camera, genius. You dont have to dig through the timeline to select something.

18 minutes ago, Slime said:

Click it in the work camera, genius. You dont have to dig through the timeline to select something.

On big animations with many different schematics what you select last may not be visible on the camera, so you would need to either move the camera and find it to double click it or do it throught the timeline.

4 minutes ago, Ian_The_One said:

@monikermodels exist

Irrelevant.

1 minute ago, moniker said:

On big animations with many different schematics what you select last may not be visible on the camera, so you would need to either move the camera and find it to double click it or do it throught the timeline.

Irrelevant.

Use folders then. or lock schematics. If your making a big project and you dont have your schematics locked or hidden if there are a ton, your not being very wise.

2 minutes ago, Slime said:

Use folders then. or lock schematics. If your making a big project and you dont have your schematics locked or hidden if there are a ton, your not being very wise.

Yes I could use any of these assorted shitty workarounds, but how about suggesting that a simple shortcut is added that deselects everything as every other competent editor has? Seriously now.

3 minutes ago, moniker said:

Yes I could use any of these assorted shitty workarounds, but how about suggesting that a simple shortcut is added that deselects everything as every other competent editor has? Seriously now.

Your complicating things by suggesting a keybind we really dont need. Im done responding to this topic because you cant seem to understand my point.

I seems people are misunderstanding this suggestion. I believe what you're asking is essentially a simple option or something to redirect an object's selection to another object if clicked in the viewport?(Likely not exactly what you're suggesting, but could used for various other purposes as well as work for what you need.) Also, Shift + Left click already has a function in selecting objects, as it's used to select multiple objects as well as deselect objects.

28 minutes ago, Nimi said:

I seems people are misunderstanding this suggestion. I believe what you're asking is essentially a simple option or something to redirect an object's selection to another object if clicked in the viewport?(Likely not exactly what you're suggesting, but could used for various other purposes as well as work for what you need.) Also, Shift + Left click already has a function in selecting objects, as it's used to select multiple objects as well as deselect objects.

I think he means specifically that it can be annoying to automatically select a part of a whole rig, instead of the whole rig. This happens when you already have something selected. I agree with him, it would be a lot easier to have a keybind rather than clicking on the sky somewhere or a locked scenery. It can be inconsistent and tedious when a keybind would do the trick much better. Is Ctrl+click binded to anything at the moment? Or Alt+click?

On 1/31/2019 at 9:40 PM, Nimi said:

Every editor out there has a shortcut that simply deselects everything, we need this.

Then, to speed up workflow, we also need to be able be able to use a shortcut that when used selects the actual object, and not a part of the object, and at the same time deselects whatever was selected previously, so you get selected what you wanted to move in a single click while holding another key (shift+click was just an example, so it could be alt+click or whatever)

Another thing we need is a way to enter a keyframe for absolute everything parented to an object without having to manually select all the parts. So basically something that selects everything within an object with a single click, then with ctrl+q you put a keyframe on everything, without having to manually make sure that you've opened on the timeline every parented stuff.

All these small things is what improves workflow on editors and makes you work really fast without wasting time.

On 1/31/2019 at 10:11 PM, Rollo said:

I think he means specifically that it can be annoying to automatically select a part of a whole rig, instead of the whole rig. This happens when you already have something selected. I agree with him, it would be a lot easier to have a keybind rather than clicking on the sky somewhere or a locked scenery. It can be inconsistent and tedious when a keybind would do the trick much better. Is Ctrl+click binded to anything at the moment? Or Alt+click?

You get it.