Chromatic Aberration Test [4K]

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Woo I threw this together real quick today to test out how chromatic aberration can help make a wallpaper better. I thought "Huh, maybe I could use it in a high-energy scene to imply lots of movement and instability" and then I did. I also think that the little bit of blur helped to sell the look as well. Enjoy!

IpGuBCU.png

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, if anyone wants to see how many spot lights there are to get the lighting I did:

Spoiler

v45TxOO.png

EDIT 2: Also I'm kinda salty about the fact that I pretty much threw this together over the course of about an hour or two and it turned out better than many of my other projects I've spent days of on and off work on.

Edited by BaconSandwich

2 minutes ago, TheJeweledWolf said:

I have to research what chromatic aberration is, but it looks nice.

And that many lights would either a) Kill my laptop or b) Kill my laptop and not even render at the end.

Yeah, I got pretty lucky with this since my computer hung for a little bit while it rendered but it turned out fine in the end. Also it takes a lot of experience in order to get those angles right and get the nice roll-off effect I've got here, but it's very much worth it. Believe me, I was experimenting for a while before I got lighting like on Sam's hair in "An Interesting Find" to work well. Once you get a better computer eventually, that's something that'd be useful to study more.

2 minutes ago, BaconSandwich said:

Yeah, I got pretty lucky with this since my computer hung for a little bit while it rendered but it turned out fine in the end. Also it takes a lot of experience in order to get those angles right and get the nice roll-off effect I've got here, but it's very much worth it. Believe me, I was experimenting for a while before I got lighting like on Sam's hair in "An Interesting Find" to work well. Once you get a better computer eventually, that's something that'd be useful to study more.

I bet it'd be fun to work with, but I can't because my laptops a potato

1 minute ago, Pharien said:

Aight man, imma be honest. I don't see the chromatic aberration at all. Also, never do the black bars like that. It hurts my soul

Well it's a lot easier to see if you have it fullscreened, I didn't make it too intense cuz if I had it would have probably detracted from the way everything works together. Also what's wrong with the bars?

You can change the camera render size and not have to use those black bars...

Also, I think the only thing I would change is turning down the FOV to get a more extreme looking angle or whatever (idk how to describe it well).

20 minutes ago, BaconSandwich said:

Well it's a lot easier to see if you have it fullscreened, I didn't make it too intense cuz if I had it would have probably detracted from the way everything works together. Also what's wrong with the bars?

It's just an awful, unreliable and inaccurate way of getting black bars. To get a real "cinema-scope" go to project settings and change your aspect ratio from 16:9 to 2.35:1 or however they do it in MI

1 minute ago, Pharien said:

It's just an awful, unreliable and inaccurate way of getting black bars. To get a real "cinema-scope" go to project settings and change your aspect ratio from 16:9 to 2.35:1 or however they do it in MI

When I tried changing the aspect ratio in MI, it just made the resolution wider instead of shorter and I didn't want to try and free-hand the size of the bars without knowing if something would be obstructed. I thought I had made measurements to ensure that they were the same, but I guess I was off by about 3 or 4 pixels. Regardless, I don't really think it matters all that much.

51 minutes ago, BaconSandwich said:

When I tried changing the aspect ratio in MI, it just made the resolution wider instead of shorter and I didn't want to try and free-hand the size of the bars without knowing if something would be obstructed. I thought I had made measurements to ensure that they were the same, but I guess I was off by about 3 or 4 pixels. Regardless, I don't really think it matters all that much.

It kinda does. It's just good practice to change the resolution of the actual project rather than faking it like that. It's the principle of it.