Volumetric lighting! Light rays in Mine Imator!

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

How to make Volumetric lighting in Mine Imator?

It's actually very simple!

Thanks to the new 1.2.0 mechanics, you're allowed to make stuff GLOW! To top that, you're also allowed to ONLY render the glow, but not the item itself. So by making a gradient texture that goes from white to transparent, you can mimic the so said "light ray". 

You would position the gradient texture where you want the light ray to be, open the graphics tab and tick on the glow and the only render glow option. Then you'd open up your render settings and tweak the raduis and intensity (i recommend you keep the intensity high, so you have a wider range of intensity options available to you). Your object should look pretty bright, so change it's glow color in the color settings - simply make it darker. Then add some lighting and camera effects and you're all done!

I've also made a YouTube tutorial for those who need it:

Nice, this tutorial should be very helpful for a lot of people! Also you weren't allowed to use a gradient or a transparent glowing object in most of the pre-releases because any sort of transparency would cause the glow to not function, so it would only show up on the very beginning part of the texture since it has full alpha, and the rest of the texture doesn't.