My Attempts at Better Lighting

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Well, I was recently told to go look at lighting turtorials. Here are my attempts...

The first, I'm naming "Willowbrook Cottage" (After the schematic I used)

Spoiler

full

And the second I've named "Stargazing"

Spoiler

full

So yeah, constructive critsim welcome, just don't be rude about it!

Spoiler

I used an HD skin from somewhere on the internet, a night sky picture from Google, and finally the schematic called "Willowbrook Cottage" from planetminecraft

Also, I know the blur was... ehhh... on the Cottage picture. I couldn't get it perfect.

Edited by TheJeweledWolf

3 minutes ago, TheJeweledWolf said:

Um... thanks I guess?

And stop being immature, it was just the HD skin I found online. I wasn't LOOKING for a werewolf. (I also vaguely know the term 'furries' but I don't understand what the point in it is)

for me, its a fetish

for others, its..... ask em

Yeesh, the replies to this post...

source.gif

Anyways. Here's some feedback.

The first image would benefit from brighter sunlight and less intense ambient occlusion, as the artifacts alongside edges become very obvious and it tends to look bad, especially on the roof. As for the depth of field, it doesn't look too bad, but I would've increased the blur radius. (Though this might worsen the issue of foreground blur not affecting edges.)

As for the second image, it's just too bright considering it's supposed to be a night ambiance. You should find references to figure out a good way of picking colors.

19 hours ago, Jake_28 said:

The one with the house looks really nice.. but..

you can see the edge of the map..

or is that intentional..

It was kind of intentional. (Aka, I didn't really care to add backround to the schematic. I figured since I was only attempting better lighting it would be fine XD)

As for anyone else who gave feedback, thanks! I'll try to get better. I do agree the night wallpaper had a clash of textures and was a bit bright, I'll work on in.

20 hours ago, Voxy said:

You should find references to figure out a good way of picking colors.

I'm not quite sure what you meant. 

On 11/15/2018 at 7:57 PM, TheJeweledWolf said:

I'm not quite sure what you meant. 

You can find tons of great photos of night scenes, this can help you get inspired and figure out how to light things up in your scene.