Custom Biome Color Keyframing Issue with 1.2

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

There's an issue when I try to use keyframes to specify different custom biome colorations at different times in an animation, it changes all the keyframes as opposed to just the ones I select. This really messes with the new animation I've been working on. To recreate this, just create a background timeline in an animation, create two different keyframes, select one of them and change the sustom biome tint option. It should change both keyframes instead of just one.

1 minute ago, Nimi said:

Custom biome colors can't be animated with keyframes.

Wait, why? Honestly, that should be a thing. Also, using the biome presets worked in the old versions but not this one.

On 8/31/2018 at 10:49 PM, BaconSandwich said:

Wait, why? Honestly, that should be a thing. Also, using the biome presets worked in the old versions but not this one.

I don't understand why they fail to see everything under "background" should be able to be animated. Why limit us like this? it's pointless. I need to make an scene where 2 characters in different biomes communicate and there is a dialog back and fort so I need to change biomes back and forth all the time, I need to animate it otherwise I would need to render separately and manually change the biome each time which is nothing but insane.

On 8/31/2018 at 3:49 PM, BaconSandwich said:

2 hours ago, moniker said:

I don't understand why they fail to see everything under "background" should be able to be animated. Why limit us like this? it's pointless. I need to make an scene where 2 characters in different biomes communicate and there is a dialog back and fort so I need to change biomes back and forth all the time, I need to animate it otherwise I would need to render separately and manually change the biome each time which is nothing but insane.

Custom biome colors were planned to be animatable during 1.2.0's development, but we weren't sure if the biome list w/ variants should also be animated with it as it produced weird instant cuts and we never got to revisit it before we released the first pre-release. Though in the next pre-release, I've set up a system that makes previously static values(like the custom biomes colors) animatable, and while I have this system now set up, in the meantime before the next pre-release drops I'll be trying to get anything possible hooked up to keyframes that doesn't result in any odd behavior.

2 minutes ago, Nimi said:

Custom biome colors were planned to be animatable during 1.2.0's development, but we weren't sure if the biome list w/ variants should also be animated with it as it produced weird instant cuts and we never got to revisit it before we released the first pre-release. Though in the next pre-release, I've set up a system that makes previously static values(like the custom biomes colors) animatable, and while I have this system now set up, in the meantime before the next pre-release drops I'll be trying to get anything possible hooked up to keyframes that doesn't result in any odd behavior.

Eyy, that's real exciting! Now I'll be able to change the biome color partway through my animation to better suit a snowy area instead of the vibrant jungle kinda thing in the first scene.

2 hours ago, Nimi said:

Very nice. We really need to be able to animate as many things as possible. It's very limiting in your imagination and workflow when you can't do certain things that seem very intuitive like changing biome colors.

I still ask: What about the sky? I don't see how it would be a problem to have the keyframe save wether you have the default sky or a custom sky image, also very useful.

Sunlight range: Being able to change this value would be very handful too. In certain situations you want to have an huge sunlight range value (like a bird's eye shoot so you get all the shadows rendered and you don't notice the decrease in quality because it's a very distant angle), in others the default one of 2000 for closeups.

Clouds position:

Please try to get these for the next release. From a technical pov I don't see how this would be a problem. The keyframe just must store the values for these as any other value.

Another useful thing to add is numerical values and copy-paste buttons to the Time and Rotation circles.

Edited by moniker

20 hours ago, Nimi said:

Does that include texture repeat and texture offset on cubes, cylinders, cones, sphere and planes?