Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Hey everyone!

It's been a long time since I've used Mine-Imator, and with Sony's SLENDER MAN coming out this month, I decided to put together a small animation. I worked on this animation for about a week. The idea came up sporadically, and so I put together a little outline and began to animate. There isn't a full plot or story here, this animation was mostly just a time killer for me and I worked on it whenever I had the extra time.

I'm open to all critiques! I don't usually animate in Mine-Imator too much, but I definitely would like to try to expand out into doing more complex animations.

Make sure to put your volume up high so you can get the sp00ks. I wasn't actually sure I was going to finish this at first, mostly cause I wasn't 100% feeling the direction it was going, it's definitely a jump scare fest animation with not as much suspense. The pacing is definitely off, but again that's because I was making it up as a go for fun! I think if I were to actually do more of a short film based around a Ender-Man/Slender-Man monster, it would go deeper into it's origin.

But enough rambling, hopefully you can get some enjoyment out of it. :)

Just now, DuallyElemental said:

Nice! I think the walk cycles and the lighting could be better though... try making it darker with more fog! Also, the walk cycles look more like slide cycles.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind, walk cycles are definitely tricky to nail down, (mostly lining up the actual speed of the character's movement with their physical movement.)

Holy cow that was amazing! I loved the use of sound, the animation quality, the fluid movements, the amazing camera work, the cute little pixel art at the start, everything about it I liked. :thumbsup:

But I do have a bit of criticism. The lighting at the start is kind of poor, the walk cycle looks like there ice skating(try looking at some reference images.), the torch doesn't really look like it's glowing(there are a lot of tutorials that can help you on that.), also, like dually elemental said, try adding some fog to make it look more spooky. 

Over all it's an amazing high quality animation. Keep it up buddy. ^w^

Edited by Swift

1 minute ago, Swift said:

Holy cow that was amazing! I loved the use of sound, the animation quality, the fluid movements, the amazing camera work, the cute little pixel art at the start, everything about it I liked.

But I do have a bit of criticism. The lighting at the start is kind of poor, the walk cycle looks like there ice skating(try looking at some reference images.), the torch doesn't really look like it's glowing(there are a lot of tutorials that can help you on that.). 

Over all it's an amazing high quality animation. Keep it up buddy.

Thank you! I'm more of an editor and cinematographer, which is why I focus a lot on the camera movements lol.

I do think lighting was a bit of an issue within this animation, and I think if I do another one I'll be more experimental.

1 minute ago, TecnoGamerJW said:

I only have one complaint, the walk cycle. The rest is very incredible, I loved the atmosphere of the animation, the sounds and the ost is perfect. Nice work. :thumbsup:

Yea lol, looks like I need to get better at walk cycles. I'll look up tutorials and stuff. I know the basics of human anatomy and movement as I do more 2D animation than 3D.

Pretty neat short, ClassicRampage! The short film was, alright (Maybe its because I don't get scared as often when seeing horror movies, lol). But I do have some criticism. First off, one of the things I liked about this short is the animation itself, it can be improved a tad bit but I won't say it was that much of a distraction, good work on that. I like the sound design too. The sounds can be like a hit-or-miss for me, what I mean by that is that it can be used right but sometimes it can be a bit distracting. When it try's to sync up with the music it doesn't really work well, even when realistic sounds combine with minecraft sounds it can feel out of place. But I didn't really mind it that much, its better than other horror animations I have seen that don't use sounds correctly, so its good. The camera movements here are good too, it can have good timing, transitions, and creativity in them. Here's what I don't like about it, the lighting. It is very crucial for a horror movie to have a good amount of lighting, yet adding a good amount of darkness. It adds tension to the movie and the audience will enjoy it. The lighting shown here doesn't feel scary but rather a bit depressing because there is a lot of blue lights everywhere, it needs some work. One of the main problems is the antagonist, Ender-man. Because of the little tension I have, I don't feel Ender-man' presence as this short should've had. It just shows up just for a jumpscare and that is it. And that leads to probably the main problem about this film, jumpscares. I am not saying that its not scary when a jumpscare happens, it is, but only when its used correctly. This short is littered with jumpscares which is not good because it releases the tension I had which makes it way less scary. Jumpscares are usually used as a payoff which is a good thing. I'm not saying do exactly that, you can still litter this short with jumpscares, but the jumpscares used in this short are the loud types of jumpscares. When a loud jumpscare occurs the audience can lose a lot of the tension they had but some is still there and it can still gradually come back up. When loud jumpscares happen over and over again, that's when the audience can get a bit tired out and it gets less and less tense. Hollywood horror movies today do the exact opposite of creating a good jumpscare, they make their jumpscares the face of a their movie, and when the movie is finally over the audience feels wearied out. But overall this short film is ok. I can see you put effort into it and it is better than a lot of horror animations that don't come as close as this. Good job on the film! have a noice day. ?

Edited by MinionMaster02