Improved Rig! V.1

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Look man, I'm sorry but this is one of the worst rigs I ever had the displeasure of seeing. So I decided to take time out of my day to point out the things I really dislike. You got my downvote but don't see it as me trying to discourage you from making more rigs, but more of encouraging you to make better your next time.

Spoiler

First thing, do not upload the .miobject file only, you have to upload the entire project folder in a .zip file. That way, all the textures load properly and you don't end up with this:

Spoiler

MPdElTU.png

You didn't even bother to name the eyebrows, mouth or even fingers. You just added stuff and did nothing to organize your timeline properly, having a good and organized rig is a top priority since you're expecting other people to use it, and they may not have the knowledge of how to use your creations if you don't guide them:

Spoiler

Kqg8VG1.png

You also got the hierarchy completely wrong, things that are supposed to be parented to left hand are parented to the other hand. Seriously, check your rigs before uploading them so you can have the best result when you release them. Make sure you are parenting it correctly so you don't end up with this:

Spoiler

MdeUD93.png

Speaking of hands, you are not using exact Z, Y and X values, you're just moving the stuff you want in place and that's it. This is terrible and it looks so ugly and messy, please, bother to put in exact values:

Spoiler

83Kzis9.png

You made the exact same mistake with the eyebrows. Not only you didn't use the correct values, but you put the bendings in the incorrect direction which ends up in an incorrect usage of eyebrows. Please, check the position values and input exact numbers. And the same goes for the rotation values and scaling values. You didn't take the time to put exact values, so please make it organized and not a mess:

Spoiler

pwCQ5cu.png

The mouth is also completely useless, it doesn't work properly and it would only work for having a character with closed teeth. It gets in the way for literally anything else:

Spoiler

bI5ISD8.png

I checked inside the head and it seems you had something planned, possibly for skin editing but you didn't even bother to specify that in the topic itself. You just added these surfaces in and that's it, you didn't explain if there's any use for them:

Spoiler

7BqTZPB.png

Since you're using limbs, you should play around with the custom rotation point to get the desired result. If someone tries to use the fingers on your rig they'll find that by rotating them the fingers will start to clip out of the hand making it look 10 times uglier:

Spoiler

JRGsaMd.png

Please, take your time when making rigs and try to perfect them as much as you can. You seriously need to look up rigging tutorials and posing tutorials too, the presentation image you posted for this rig has a very ugly and uninspired pose. You're trying to get your creations to look as good as possible. 

I downloaded the rig and fixed everything that's wrong with it so you can take a look at what you're doing wrong. Take your time to go through the rig to see the changes I made and to use it so you can tell what to do better your next time:

md6aTjg.png

I also gave it a much better and dynamic pose. Again, take your time to check what I've done to take it as an example/inspiration, but do not take it as a thing you have to copy step-by-step because everyone has it's own rigging style. The second rig to the left is the one you want to check, the one to the right is for you to understand how to pose.

Download the rig here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ssgx9xv9pprk2w2/Rig+for+Craftinator.zip

Please, take your time with your stuff in order to improve. As I've seen you have an attitude of improving and that's fantastic on it's own.

And please, you just started making rigs which means your creations are going to be ugly. Since you're uploading your work here, it's adding nothing to the table and become just another one to the pile because literally every other rig of this sort on the forums is vastly superior. You're not including anything we haven't seen, as to why I don't quite recommend you to post a topic every single time you make a slight improvement to your rig. What you can do is post status updates with images so you can still share your work while the community keeps track on your creations. You can also receive constructive criticism as well.

And... again, please, don't call your own stuff "cool" until you're confident in that the community appreciates your work, because I'm sure we don't see the stuff you're doing as groundbreaking or anything like that. I recommend you to put higher standards upon yourself.

Since you're open to criticism as I've seen, I decided to give you a hand on this stuff. Next time you make something you can consider this help I gave you so you know what to do ?

Edited by -StickyMations-

6 minutes ago, -StickyMations- said:

Look man, I'm sorry but this is one of the worst rigs I ever had the displeasure of seeing. So I decided to take time out of my day to point out the things I really dislike. You got my downvote but don't see it as me trying to discourage you from making more rigs, but more of encouraging you to make better your next time.

Reveal hidden contents

First thing, do not upload the .miobject file only, you have to upload the entire project folder in a .zip file. That way, all the textures load properly and you don't end up with this:

Reveal hidden contents

MPdElTU.png

You didn't even bother to name the eyebrows, mouth or even fingers. You just added stuff and did nothing to organize your timeline properly, having a good and organized rig is a top priority since you're expecting other people to use it, and they may not have the knowledge of how to use your creations if you don't guide them:

Reveal hidden contents

Kqg8VG1.png

You also got the hierarchy completely wrong, things that are supposed to be parented to left hand are parented to the other hand. Seriously, check your rigs before uploading them so you can have the best result when you release them. Make sure you are parenting it correctly so you don't end up with this:

Reveal hidden contents

MdeUD93.png

Speaking of hands, you are not using exact Z, Y and X values, you're just moving the stuff you want in place and that's it. This is terrible and it looks so ugly and messy, please, bother to put in exact values:

Reveal hidden contents

83Kzis9.png

You made the exact same mistake with the eyebrows. Not only you didn't use the correct values, but you put the bendings in the incorrect direction which ends up in an incorrect usage of eyebrows. Please, check the position values and input exact numbers. And the same goes for the rotation values and scaling values. You didn't take the time to put exact values, so please make it organized and not a mess:

Reveal hidden contents

pwCQ5cu.png

The mouth is also completely useless, it doesn't work properly and it would only work for having a character with closed teeth. It gets in the way for literally anything else:

Reveal hidden contents

bI5ISD8.png

I checked inside the head and it seems you had something planned, possibly for skin editing but you didn't even bother to specify that in the topic itself. You just added these surfaces in and that's it, you didn't explain if there's any use for them:

Reveal hidden contents

7BqTZPB.png

Since you're using limbs, you should play around with the custom rotation point to get the desired result. If someone tries to use the fingers on your rig they'll find that by rotating them the fingers will start to clip out of the hand making it look 10 times uglier:

Reveal hidden contents

JRGsaMd.png

Please, take your time when making rigs and try to perfect them as much as you can. You seriously need to look up rigging tutorials and posing tutorials too, the presentation image you posted for this rig has a very ugly and uninspired pose. You're trying to get your creations to look as good as possible. 

I downloaded the rig and fixed everything that's wrong with it so you can take a look at what you're doing wrong. Take your time to go through the rig to see the changes I made and to use it so you can tell what to do better your next time:

md6aTjg.png

I also gave it a much better and dynamic pose. Again, take your time to check what I've done to take it as an example/inspiration, but do not take it as a thing you have to copy step-by-step because everyone has it's own rigging style. The second rig to the left is the one you want to check, the one to the right is for you to understand how to pose.

Download the rig here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ssgx9xv9pprk2w2/Rig+for+Craftinator.zip

Please, take your time with your stuff in order to improve. As I've seen you have an attitude of improving and that's fantastic on it's own.

And please, you just started making rigs which means your creations are going to be ugly. Since you're uploading your work here, it's adding nothing to the table and become just another one to the pile because literally every other rig of this sort on the forums is vastly superior. You're not including anything we haven't seen, as to why I don't quite recommend you to post a topic every single time you make a slight improvement to your rig. What you can do is post status updates with images so you can still share your work while the community keeps track on your creations. You can also receive constructive criticism as well.

And... again, please, don't call your own stuff "cool" until you're confident in that the community appreciates your work, because I'm sure we don't see the stuff you're doing as groundbreaking or anything like that. I recommend you to put higher standards upon yourself.

Since you're open to criticism as I've seen, I decided to give you a hand on this stuff. Next time you make something you can consider this help I gave you so you know what to do ?

Thanks sooooooooo much I seem to need a lot of work so I'll go download your rig thankyou!

6 hours ago, Chirp said:

Look, friend you dont have to write a whole damn novel just to give criticism ?

...why not? It'll come in handy for Craft Inator and other people passing by. It's very helpful for everyone to be specific. It doesn't really matter how long the criticism is, it only matters if it's helpful. 

Also Craft Inator I'll check out the rig later today to see your improvements. 

On 7/13/2018 at 10:01 AM, Craft inator said:

Hey guys I really screwed up the rig last time so I fixed everything.

-Mouth works

-gloves work

-Hands have Improved

-eyebrows work 

I hope this pays off for the bad one enjoy.

TvJSN9R.png

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5c9pjhdrye1m24r/Steve.miobject

Getting better, my dude. However, I do have a few suggestions. Maybe extrude the hair, (make it 3d), here's a good tutorial on how to do that: 

Spoiler

Perhaps slim down the eyebrows and add a brown-ish tone to them. And, uh... that's pretty much it besides maybe make an original skin and create a rig of that, I'd love to see more of your work.