Complaints with the new bending feature - Mine-Imator 1.1.3

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Vote  

33 members have voted

1. 1. After reading the topic, what's your opinion?

• Yes, the old bending was better.
    • No, the new bending is fine as it is.
    • I think the new bending could still be tweaked to please both sides.

Hello again! In case you haven't noticed, I don't really like the new bending feature that was introduced in 1.1.3, so to stop myself from spamming the entire forums with my complaints, I have decided to make a topic where I could place all of them and even discuss with other people about this. :whistling:This topic will include personal opinion, some objective facts that I think affect this new feature in a negative way, pictures describing the problem and probably some missing tweaks that should be implemented. Mind you that I do appreciate @david's hard work and the fact that he actually implemented this system as it was suggested by many users back then, but I'm not entirely happy with the results and I would love to point out what I don't like. It does seem that I could get used to this feature with time, but I still want to express my opinion.

If you feel like I should add any other complaints or you don't agree with any point I'm saying, feel free to discuss in the replies. Let's start:

-It breaks the Minecraft style and feel.

-It does not appeal to a significant part of the community, several people are not really happy with the results too as I've seen here in the forums and in the YouTube community.

-Round bending does not exist anymore (RIP), it had a few useful uses.

-The new bending has a low amount of detail.

-Item sheets on the body of rigs are now slightly broken.

-The texture pinching was supposed to remove the need of the bending scale feature, but it only works up to 90 degress, a higher value causes Z-Fighting. Demonstration:

Spoiler

oWWMiEw.png

-Some of the poses with the new bending are already possible to some extent with the old one. Demonstration:

Spoiler

wwTztrX.png

DxbOrDr.png

-There is a range in which using high values on more than one bending axis starts to look unnatural, will bother you unless you want to make weird satirical poses. Demonstration:

Spoiler

ca7qGkY.png

-Using 3 bendings at once causes an even bigger range of an unnatural look, but high values go to the point of completely breaking the model. Demonstration:

Spoiler

TgwJ4Eo.png

-The Z axis of bending deflates the body model, this did not happen with the old bending. Demonstration:

Spoiler

vehrvEu.png

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS/SUGGESTIONS:

This may be more suitable to go in Mine-Imator Suggestions subforum, but I'd say that this still falls in the context of this topic and could still be discussed so I'm keeping it here. I have no idea if any of these are possible to implement nor if they are good suggestions. If you have any other ideas that you think should be added, put it in the comments.

Spoiler

1) Bending detail value slider. This feature was used with the round bending, may make it more pleasing to look as seen in this small edit I made:

Spoiler

QRoAXL1.png

(Not really a fan of this suggestion though...)

2) Implement a toggle button in the body parts that will enable and disable the feature, just like it used to be with the sharp and round bendings. (I like this suggestion the most)

3) Make 2 separate Mine-Imator downloads in which one includes the new bending and the other one has the old bending. (Honestly this one would be more fitting in the scenario in which both features co-existing is impossible, but it is indeed quite crazy, not really a good path to go)

4) Make the existing feature more similar to the old one and tweak the deformations in the body. (This one is really good too)

Just wanted to put my opinion here, thanks for the read. I'm all open ears to any other opinions, so don't be afraid to discuss.

Edited by -StickyMations-

Hey there!

Thanks for the feedback, I understand the new bending might not be satisfactory for a lot of people.

The new bending method is here to stay and adding the old one is not part of his plans. The new method actually deforms the mesh (whereas the old method broke the mesh in two parts and generated a new one in-between) which allows for bending on multiple axes at once, something you can't do with the previous way of generating the bending.

About the odd looks of extreme bend values, there actually is a parameter to set the bending detail, however it had to be disabled because it produced very unpleasant effects when set too high:

9f12f7429f56fcdd2697f72bf98c039a.png

But as you pointed out, it's a bit of a non-issue as only extreme, multi-axial bending would produce the broken-looking mesh deformation.

As for the major two issues, which are the pinching effect and the Z-fighting (clashing textures) glitch, I have good news for you! Both issues will be addressed in a subsequent patch. The Z-fighting was fixed. When it comes to the unpleasant look of pinching, there is actually a parameter inside model files which define the size of the effect. Having a low value, such as "1" will give a result that's mighty similar to what Mine-imator used to offer, as demonstrated in the following gif:

f5d08eb055faa5f3b35958aeee94010a.gif

However, it's important to note that such a value will make twisting along the Y axis look pretty terrible! You'll have to change this setting with caution!

804602b0f69c5efc873372f0df148eed.gif

You will be able to set this new parameter in the next Modelbench update. I do not know if it will be implemented within the next batch of assets for the next Mine-imator updates, but if it isn't, it'll be an easy fix if you're certain you won't need to show any limb twisting.

Hope that helps!

12 hours ago, -StickyMations- said:

-Item sheets on the body of rigs are now slightly broken.

I can't say no to this one the Item sheets go broken when bending in different directions (I have a shit ton of tweaking to do with my Own Private rigs)

1 hour ago, Lock_downmc213 said:

I can't say no to this one the Item sheets go broken when bending in different directions (I have a shit ton of tweaking to do with my Own Private rigs)

I'm guessing that using model bench to add 3D details to rigs could fix this to some extent.