Clouds do an ugly frame skip when the sliding animation is reset

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

As we know, in Minecraft clouds constantly slide, but in Mineimator, it looks like after a certain distance it resets and does a skip thing that looks ugly. Could you make it sealmessly loop the cloud texture infinitely?

Maybe as a workaround/idea: anyone has a bigger texture resolution of the default clouds big enough for it to disappear within the fog's standard distance?

Edited by moniker

On 3/15/2018 at 8:12 AM, OzFalcon said:

I have a similar problem but not with the "certain distance" part. At what part/distance do the clouds "skip"?

Im not sure. They just slide for a while, and at some point it's position it's reset, which looks pretty annoying.

6 hours ago, david said:

I can't seem to recreate this frame skip, is it when rendering only or in-program? Can you share your background settings where this happens?

See gif:

giphy.gif

If you notice before the gif resets, the clouds skip. To recreate this just open a new project and raise the cloud Y to somewhere like 3500. This happens because the default is 1000, so when the clouds reset, you don't see it, it is masked in the fog. If you put the clouds higher, like I said around 3500, the fog is not tall enough to mask the reset. The only thing I changed is the cloud Y value and the speed to make it happen faster.

Fog height limit is 2000, so that wouldn't work. And even if you could make it taller, it makes the horizon look bad, just 2000 looks bad enough, the entire sky has that bright tone of the fog, you don't want that.

The solution I see would be to be able to make the cloud texture bigger, as big as needed for the desired cloud Y value. Typically if you use schematics that are really big you'll want the cloud Y higher than default, so that is why I would like a fix for this.

Edited by moniker

Yes, this is a limitation due to the fact that only a limited amount of cloud "images" are rendered at once to save performance. If you increase the block size of the clouds so that they cover the entire "sky sphere" you can avoid this, or, as said, use bigger textures for the clouds.

On 4/8/2018 at 8:12 PM, david said:

Yes, this is a limitation due to the fact that only a limited amount of cloud "images" are rendered at once to save performance. If you increase the block size of the clouds so that they cover the entire "sky sphere" you can avoid this, or, as said, use bigger textures for the clouds.

Yeah, I tried the "clouds block size" option, the problem is, the aspect ratio is not maintained. You could add an option "maintain aspect ratio" so when it's checked it just expands the size of the block while keeping the default minecraft cloud size.