Nether Diary - Episode 8 [Minecraft Animated Series]

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Nether Diary is a Minecraft Animation series that tells about a Private First Class ranked soldier named Connie Alexander who is on a mission to venture a Nether infested earth. He must rely on his minimal experience to battle through hordes of former humans and various nether entities while writing his unbelievable experience on a notebook. 

In this episode: PFC Connie uses his new power to escape the dungeon and ends up in a snowy area.

Music and everything else are credited at the end of the video.

Just went through the series, and have to say I applaud the effort here, especially for making a cohesive storyline across multiple episodes. The effort you're putting in to create a more fleshed out universe isn't something seen much in the MC animation community, so it's always refreshing to come across the few who do.

Technically speaking, the animation style/quality is very basic and could use a lot of improvement, but I think you're adding just enough detail in the right ways to pull off what you're trying to convey, so overall I'd say it's serviceable. There's something to be said about making episodic content and the time it takes to animate, so going for more basic movements, etc. is understandable.

The "diary writing" bits happen a bit too fast to be read while watching, so if you don't want viewers to skip over the story you're writing, I'd recommend extending those shots (don't expect many will pause to read). Typically, it's recommended to leave text on screen for the duration that it takes you to read it 3 times, but you can probably get away with a little less time than that.

Credits are way too long for the run time of each episode, > 30 seconds for a 2.5 minute video is a poor ratio. Instead of scrolling credits, maybe just static credits on screen that stay up for a couple seconds per page; or, little/no credits in video, and just add them to the description.

I'd recommend using the end card feature to add the next episode at the end of each video, and/or adding a link to the next episode in the description, because YouTube doesn't always recommend them, which makes it a much more cumbersome experience for viewers who watch an episode and want to continue through.

Hopefully there's something helpful in there, but anyway, keep up the good work!

1 hour ago, AnxiousCynic said:

Just went through the series, and have to say I applaud the effort here, especially for making a cohesive storyline across multiple episodes. The effort you're putting in to create a more fleshed out universe isn't something seen much in the MC animation community, so it's always refreshing to come across the few who do.

Technically speaking, the animation style/quality is very basic and could use a lot of improvement, but I think you're adding just enough detail in the right ways to pull off what you're trying to convey, so overall I'd say it's serviceable. There's something to be said about making episodic content and the time it takes to animate, so going for more basic movements, etc. is understandable.

The "diary writing" bits happen a bit too fast to be read while watching, so if you don't want viewers to skip over the story you're writing, I'd recommend extending those shots (don't expect many will pause to read). Typically, it's recommended to leave text on screen for the duration that it takes you to read it 3 times, but you can probably get away with a little less time than that.

Credits are way too long for the run time of each episode, > 30 seconds for a 2.5 minute video is a poor ratio. Instead of scrolling credits, maybe just static credits on screen that stay up for a couple seconds per page; or, little/no credits in video, and just add them to the description.

I'd recommend using the end card feature to add the next episode at the end of each video, and/or adding a link to the next episode in the description, because YouTube doesn't always recommend them, which makes it a much more cumbersome experience for viewers who watch an episode and want to continue through.

Hopefully there's something helpful in there, but anyway, keep up the good work!

Can't add more reactions today, i can't upvote this comment :(

Thanks dude, that means a lot to me that you take your time to write this long :)

I know i could use a lot of improvement, but it was easier said than done since i direct, write, animate and edit by myself

Hmm ... i'm sorry about that. Personally when i watch a movie/anime where the subtitles were way too fast, i always pause to read them. I have no idea that people rarely do the same 

Ok maybe i'll change the credit in the future. I'm just trying to make the video look longer, but i think it's not helping.

End cards? ok i'll try that later

Thanks again!