Dev update #12 part 1: 2017 in a nutshell and flexible Steves

Wow, these changes look very promising. I do like the old arm bending more though, is this an all or nothing change or can you select what kind of bends you want? Also the bendable steve looks great, but will it break existing rigs? Or will items attached to the body bend and twist with the body?

3 minutes ago, Juno said:

Wow, these changes look very promising. I do like the old arm bending more though, is this an all or nothing change or can you select what kind of bends you want? Also the bendable steve looks great, but will it break existing rigs? Or will items attached to the body bend and twist with the body?

Since the bending is a complete redo, and not a simple modification, there are no remnants of the old bending left in the code I'm afraid!

Items and other blocks won't be twisted along with the body, you'll have to use the upcoming Modelbench to achieve that effect. If you load an old Steve rig with items locked to the body you might get weird results if you twist or tilt the body in a manner that wasn't possible before.

Just now, david said:

Since the bending is a complete redo, and not a simple modification, there are no remnants of the old bending left in the code I'm afraid!

Items and other blocks won't be twisted along with the body, you'll have to use the upcoming Modelbench to achieve that effect. If you load an old Steve rig with items locked to the body you might get weird results if you twist or tilt the body.

Thanks for responding,

I haven't been around too much to understand ModelBench entirely, I thought it was just for making 3d blocks and items, without an item sheet? 

1 minute ago, Juno said:

I haven't been around too much to understand ModelBench entirely, I thought it was just for making 3d blocks and items, without an item sheet? 

That's true, you'll be hearing more about it in the next dev update topic. Also there's a Q&A topic by Nimi if you're curious.

1 minute ago, david said:

That's true, you'll be hearing more about it in the next dev update topic. Also there's a Q&A topic by Nimi if you're curious.

If you don't mind, I'd like to take a look. Expanding into 3d modelling was something I always wanted to do but was such a step upwards when comparing MI's rig building to other program's interfaces. 

1 minute ago, Juno said:

If you don't mind, I'd like to take a look. Expanding into 3d modelling was something I always wanted to do but was such a step upwards when comparing MI's rig building to other program's interfaces. 

Here's the topic :)

I'd say that most modeling software are better suited for rig making than Mine-imator. It's an animating program after all!

26 minutes ago, david said:

Items and other blocks won't be twisted along with the body, you'll have to use the upcoming Modelbench to achieve that effect. If you load an old Steve rig with items locked to the body you might get weird results if you twist or tilt the body in a manner that wasn't possible before.

So we're stuck with the pinch bending? Why not add that in as another option, like sharp and smooth joint bending is?

The bending looks very ugly, the one we have currently right now is more clean. I hope it does get tweaked for a better look, I'm really happy for the texture stretching

since we won't have to worry about the bending scale slider anymore :DDD

Spoiler

WS9zEE7.png

THIS curving gap is what bothers me the most about it, as well as the way the shoulder looks.

1 minute ago, -StickyMations- said:

The bending looks very ugly, the one we have currently right now is more clean. I hope it does get tweaked for a better look, I'm really happy for the texture stretching

since we won't have to worry about the bending scale slider anymore :DDD

Hide contents

WS9zEE7.png

THIS curving gap is what bothers me the most about it, as well as the way the shoulder looks.

Bend your arm a few times, and look at it. It kinda does that.

1 minute ago, Foxtrot0806 said:

Well, no it doesn't. Doesn't matter if it does, it still looks ugly, and this is Minecraft characters we're talking about. It's not supposed to be that realistic. Just my toughts

1 hour ago, Foxtrot0806 said:

3cliHSd.jpg

And me, like some other people, don't think that kind of bending suits our style of animation.

I don't mean to rag on David... "Pinching" just personally doesn't fit my way of animating, and I can live with it even if the old arm bending doesn't return. I love the new body bending though, it looks amazing.