A Software Like Mine-Imator

Lazii
Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

6 answers to this question

I would like to just start out with a disclaimer: I do not represent Blender, Udemy, Lynda, or treehouse, unity, unreal engine, or any game development software / collection of tutorials, or any entity in possession or connecting to them.

There are many places to start, but it honestly depends on what you want to do. If you want to code, I would recommend treehouse. They have a large variety to coding and software development. Both Lynda and Udemy have these courses, but not to the extent treehouse does. For graphical and art, go Udemy or Lynda. Between the two, it honestly depends on how you want to pay. Udemy is per course; meaning you buy a course, for, say 15 bucks. You will then have that course for the rest of time, but only have access to the tutorials you bought. Lynda is a monthly subscribtion (like treehouse), but you have access to a massive array of tutorials, but only for a month. When it comes to what to code in, that is absolutly your choice. Mineimator is made by Game maker studio, but there are options like python, java, and OpenGL. 

A tip of advice though: Don't make another mineimator. Think new. What I have been personally searching for is somthing like source filmmaker; the ability to import characters from video games and rig them, without the lag and unnecessarily complected interface. But again, its up to you. Search around, find what you like in a modeling / animation software. How could you build off of those key features. If you ever want to see what a more complicated modeling and animation software would look like, try Blender. I've been personally experimenting it with it a lot, and although it has a steep learning curve, you can create industry level models and animation.

Even if it is a very complicated process, remember there will always be volunteers and freelancers waiting to help you.

My two-cents,

RandomPr0file

Well, enjoy my book.

Generally 3D engines are a good place to start, but I heavily recommend getting to learn the basics of programming and completing smaller projects. Biggest mistake alot of new programmers make is having a huge idea in their head, attempting it and realizing how hard it is and instantly giving up. Ruins future motivation too. But do write down ideas.

As ironic as it sounds, I wouldn't recommend Gamemaker for 3D projects, as it certainly isn't its strong point, despite having 3D functions. It took Nimi & David hours of stress and workarounds. Gamemaker as an engine however, is alot more lax and forgiving in its programming, making it a good start to learn the basics of coding and whats needed, aswell as to tell you if its your thing or not. (Brought this up as you have a gamemaker tag in the topic)

However as Random stated above, more professional companies offer actual courses and the like, which can be helpful if you want to learn what they are providing.

Regardless of the engine, read and follow along tutorials.
After the tutorials, don't stop there, modify and incorporate tutorial code, really helps you understand why and how things happen in the code you just watched a tutorial of.

Also don't be shy too send a PM to either of the Mineimator Devs, they are both very helpful, just do be mindful they are busy as of late and they may not respond as quick as you'd like.
You can send me a PM, however I won't be able to answer 3D questions since I have stayed away from it. (I love 2D)
I hope either responses helped.

Depends on what you mean, if you wanna make a 3D animation software. Or an animation software for Minecraft, i recommend learning 3D Game enginesOr make your own engine from scratch(Much harder, like.. Much harder) I don't recommend making a software like this as your first project.

I've used Unity, almost 24/7 for 6 months, now and i'm nowhere close making something that even looks/functions like an animation software. 

I recommend starting small and build up from there. 

if you don't wanna write an engine from scratch. There are alot of engines out there that can make it easier.

• Unity3D - (C#, UnityScript) (My favorite)
  • Unreal Engine - (C++, Blueprints)
  • Cryengine - (C++, Lua, and some others)

Of course there are more but these are the ones i recommend.

Don't expect to make a million dollar game or software as your first game/software, it might take over 100's of projects. 

Good luck though.

On 12/5/2017 at 6:40 AM, Chirp said:

You can start making 2D games in GMStudio first, it's easy to learn GML, after that try to make advanced games in Unity or such, good luck Lazii!

I agree with this. But if you wanna move on from GML to C#/Unity, its REALLY different. I did that.

I suggest you first learn Blender's coding language, and then start with Blender. This program may be harshly more sophisticated and tougher to learn. But hey, bare with me. I'm learning Blender too, and it's a great place to learn how to model characters and create video games. As I have never made any game, or even have properly 'modeled' anything yet, I definitely recommend using this software. 

Edited by Sticknub
Typos.