Schematic Splitting (For Better Render Time)

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

I had an idea that when importing a schematic, you could check a box that said 'subsections' or something, with a number by it (that you could change). What would happen is that if you know it will be massive, it will automatically cut the schematic into 9 parts, if the number was 3 for example:

ykVmU0B.png

It would then split the schematic into 9 parts and import them separately, so that a massive piece of scenery could be easily imported. Then the user could just line up the divides and folder it.

I personally would use this a ton, and with MI be developed, I though I should throw this in. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how hard this would be, but please consider it.

16 minutes ago, ThatGuyBrian said:

tbh that'd be a really neat and useful concept, but you could always just go into mcedit, minecraft, or mine-imator's world importer and just isolate the exact part of the schematic you'd want.

You could, but this would just take a lot less time.

5 hours ago, Kapslock said:

I had an idea that when importing a schematic, you could check a box that said 'subsections' or something, with a number by it (that you could change). What would happen is that if you know it will be massive, it will automatically cut the schematic into 9 parts, if the number was 3 for example:

ykVmU0B.png

It would then split the schematic into 9 parts and import them separately, so that a massive piece of scenery could be easily imported. Then the user could just line up the divides and folder it.

I personally would use this a ton, and with MI be developed, I though I should throw this in. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how hard this would be, but please consider it.

This would actually be harder to render, since now your computer has to generate vertices and edges for the different sections of the schematic that would normally be covered up by just one giant schematic. However, this is still useful; you could make parts of the schematic that you're not using invisible, since at any given time your camera is only going to be viewing a few subsections at a time.

11 hours ago, SteampunkSkeleton said:

This would actually be harder to render, since now your computer has to generate vertices and edges for the different sections of the schematic that would normally be covered up by just one giant schematic. However, this is still useful; you could make parts of the schematic that you're not using invisible, since at any given time your camera is only going to be viewing a few subsections at a time.

I'm not talking about rendering, I'm saying if you try to import, say 9000 blocks your MI may crash. But if there were 9 schematics, your computer could better load 1000 blocks 9 times.

11 hours ago, SteampunkSkeleton said:

It's still loading just as much data at the same time. Maybe even more.

It wouldn't be at the same time. You know the gun rigs with lots of different schematics? It would be like that but so that your MI doesn't crash for importing so many blocks at once. (Not for moving parts)

Edited by Kapslock

6 hours ago, Kapslock said:

I'm not talking about rendering, I'm saying if you try to import, say 9000 blocks your MI may crash. But if there were 9 schematics, your computer could better load 1000 blocks 9 times.

It wouldn't be at the same time. You know the gun rigs with lots of different schematics? It would be like that but so that your MI doesn't crash for importing so many blocks at once. (Not for moving parts)

Then perhaps. But I wouldn't know, since my machine is adequate enough to never crash due to a huge schematic. I'd still like to know if MI is crashing because the schematic is too large, or if there is simply too many blocks.

While you're waiting, however, I'd recommend using several projects to store smaller schematics, since you're not going to be viewing the whole schematic at any one time. If your schematic has things in the background such as mountains, you can try using a skybox or skysphere to create a background.

Edited by SteampunkSkeleton