Happy Birthday! - 3rd Mine Imator animation

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

My 3rd animation for somebody I know who is having their birthday today. The animation is not very good because I found that the person's birthday was today just yesterday and I can only animate in the mornings. And also because I am a newbie. I would appreciate anybody's criticism and advice for animating however on this vid.

There's quite a lot of things that can be improved.

First of all, add some scenery - a flat layer of green grass looks very unappealing.

The walk cycle is pretty inconsistent - it's really slow at first, then quickly becomes incredibly fast. I recommend you stop and study some walking tutorials, and try to copy them.

The video doesn't have to be that long - literally all of the action is only in the first 5 seconds, and the rest is practically a still image with a really cringey kid song. Pretty sure that person would have gotten the point after the first 7 seconds.

Couldn't tell that your sunflower arrangement said "happy" at first. Stick to text.

This last criticism is not so much about your animation, but your attitude. Generally, we don't like it when people blame their poor animation skills on their time budget or their inexperience. You could have had a lot of opportunities to make this animation or to practice. And you not finding out about your friend's birthday in advance is pretty bad on your part...

Look, I know you mean well, but this guy sounds like someone you met online or something. It's alright to just DM him a "Happy birthday." If this person is in real life, get him a card or a small gift. They'll appreciate it.

9 hours ago, SteampunkSkeleton said:

There's quite a lot of things that can be improved.

First of all, add some scenery - a flat layer of green grass looks very unappealing.

The walk cycle is pretty inconsistent - it's really slow at first, then quickly becomes incredibly fast. I recommend you stop and study some walking tutorials, and try to copy them.

The video doesn't have to be that long - literally all of the action is only in the first 5 seconds, and the rest is practically a still image with a really cringey kid song. Pretty sure that person would have gotten the point after the first 7 seconds.

Couldn't tell that your sunflower arrangement said "happy" at first. Stick to text.

This last criticism is not so much about your animation, but your attitude. Generally, we don't like it when people blame their poor animation skills on their time budget or their inexperience. You could have had a lot of opportunities to make this animation or to practice. And you not finding out about your friend's birthday in advance is pretty bad on your part...

Look, I know you mean well, but this guy sounds like someone you met online or something. It's alright to just DM him a "Happy birthday." If this person is in real life, get him a card or a small gift. They'll appreciate it.

Ok, thx. Here I will explain a few things. (I'm not butthurt or anything just explainin' a few things) The first and second tip I understand and I admit my mistakes there. This isn't the completed product. The finished product is only 17 seconds long and has the person's name underneath the words birthday. I agree that i should have used text but I did it just to experiment and because the person it is for loves flowers. I know the person in real life and already gave them a few gifts, so I also made them this for them and for me so I could practice. Also I wrote the thing about the time resulting in bad animation because 1 time I didn't on another account and got a bunch of trolls trolling me about my animation and one even hacked me (IDK why) And I forget a lot (I really need to work on it. It's one of my bad qualities) Lastly, thx for replying to me and giving your opinion and not ignoring me. Thx! your opinion really means a lot to me (and thx for not trolling me

5 hours ago, Cooker126 said:

Ok, thx. Here I will explain a few things. (I'm not butthurt or anything just explainin' a few things) The first and second tip I understand and I admit my mistakes there. This isn't the completed product. The finished product is only 17 seconds long and has the person's name underneath the words birthday. I agree that i should have used text but I did it just to experiment and because the person it is for loves flowers. I know the person in real life and already gave them a few gifts, so I also made them this for them and for me so I could practice. Also I wrote the thing about the time resulting in bad animation because 1 time I didn't on another account and got a bunch of trolls trolling me about my animation and one even hacked me (IDK why) And I forget a lot (I really need to work on it. It's one of my bad qualities) Lastly, thx for replying to me and giving your opinion and not ignoring me. Thx! your opinion really means a lot to me (and thx for not trolling me

Thanks for not taking things too personally. We need more beginners like you. :)

But still, using a limited time budget as a shield to prevent "trolls" won't really help. People will judge your finished product, not the things that you did beforehand. 

I'm glad that you mentioned your forgetfulness. After all, recognizing your mistakes is the first step to improvement. Perhaps you can try to fix it or something... :\

But, um, yeah, don't mention that you have another account... that's kind of against the rules...

But yeah, thanks for taking this maturely.

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:43 AM, SteampunkSkeleton said:

Thanks for not taking things too personally. We need more beginners like you. :)

But still, using a limited time budget as a shield to prevent "trolls" won't really help. People will judge your finished product, not the things that you did beforehand. 

I'm glad that you mentioned your forgetfulness. After all, recognizing your mistakes is the first step to improvement. Perhaps you can try to fix it or something... :\

But, um, yeah, don't mention that you have another account... that's kind of against the rules...

But yeah, thanks for taking this maturely.

K thx. But what I said was true however, I don't have much time to animate because of school.

Edited by Cooker126
unfinished reply