Dev update #10: Five year Mine-iversary, an overdue update and new developer

Message added by david

You can now download and use the new version!

https://www.mineimatorforums.com/index.php?/topic/46014-mine-imator-112/

1 hour ago, Thericalviber said:

What do you mean we can't load projects and rigs that were made in it? 

It's much like how you can't load Mine-imator 1.0.6 projects and objects into Mine-imator 1.0.5, it's an older version. The CB is(now) an older version of Mine-imator, so you won't be able to load the next update's projects and objects into the Community Build mod.

the way its done now, as nimi has said before, it cuts the body or arm or whatever in half and does something else....i donno...but in order for there to be sideways and forward and back bending at the same time(twisting), if the current way its done now is kept, it would look terrible, and have to cut the half in half, and that half in half, and so on.(or thats what i imagine would happen. i'm no expert)

The mine imator people have waited waited for the new update and it does not disappoint bringing new features wait I feel like that was copied off something and then a few replaced words no matter this update will be the color upda... wait where am I getting this stuff from?

(On topic) Epic! keep up the work the mine imator people will all ways be here when the program is long gone mine imator is a huge step up with easy GUI and amazing looks a truly perfect program that allows people to create beyond a piece of paper or blender as the program opens new ideas from so many people. mine imator being my 1st animation program. Has inspired much more in my life then just animation. It has inspired my love with minecraft and then that love turned into texture pack creating then that texture pack creating turned into pixel art creating and so much more with modding and so much that I can't say that I wish I could. Mine imator might just be the thing that inspired so many things as it also has inspired my enjoyment of creating for the community. I hope the love I have for (MOST) People on this community don't die. sure this may just be a program but in reality or to just me its much more then that and for that I say. Thank you (Holy crap that was long I gotta go get a drink of water) Heres a cake mine imator :Cake: you earned it. :I_approve: would be proud.

Edited by Mobdestoryer

7 hours ago, The Guy Named Scout said:

If this update comes with a feature that lets you import models from other games
I am gonna eat a door in less than a week.

Don't worry, you don't have to eat a door in less than a week. Check Nimi's "Coming Soon..." topic, it's about this model creator.

Edited by Sonicxryan

3 hours ago, Sonicxryan said:

Don't worry, you don't have to eat a door in less than a week. Check Nimi's "Coming Soon..." topic, it's about this model creator.

You know why I'm asking that? Because I want to import Half Life 1 models to Mine-Imator.

I have Half Life 1.

I want to make animations of Half Life 1.

Edited by The Guy Named Scout

3 hours ago, The Guy Named Scout said:

You know why I'm asking that? Because I want to import Half Life 1 models to Mine-Imator.

I have Half Life 1.

I want to make animations of Half Life 1.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1840/Source_Filmmaker/

Why would you even want to impor HL models to a Minecraft animator? Use rigs, or learn SFM, or really any other animator.

On 8/25/2017 at 1:06 AM, Nimi said:

1.) Drawing transparent objects is an uphill battle with rendering objects correctly.(Especially with deferred rendering, what Mine-imator uses.) Depth of Field is a post process effect in Mine-imator, so it blurs the scene based on depth and other given variables after it's already been rendered. And since transparent objects are in front opaque objects, it means in the depth buffer(Where it tracks the depth of objects in the scene so it knows where to blur.) transparent objects are written over opaque objects(Cause that's how rendering works.), and the opaque objects are not written in, and any pixel position of a opaque object is now replaced with a transparent object's depth. So that's why when you use depth of field, it uses the transparent object's depth point instead of anything behind it.(Hence why the stone behind the glass in your picture is no blurred, because the glass in front of it, is not blurred.) The reason why the render depth option doesn't fix this is because render depth changes when an object is rendered when the scene is being rendered, and doesn't have any effect on post processing effects. Attempting to overcome this would require rendering the scene every time you want to look through one transparent object. If you want to look through one layer of transparency on the scene, it would require to render the scene entirely once. If you want to look through something transparent behind that one layer of transparency, then you'd have to render twice, ect. And the performance of rendering would eventually bog down heavily. So from the looks of it, it does not look like this will be fixed.

TD;DR: Nah.

2.) Sunlight range just stretches the buffer to be applied to a larger area(Why it's called range.), the resolution doesn't change.(Hence why it looks weird, it can only fit so much data into a small resolution.) Raise the buffer size of the Sunlight buffer.

The sunlight buffer size is already at max, that is not the point. The point is to extend how far in distance shadows are rendered without it looking like crap.

If this cannot be done for some reason, at least give us the possibility to change sunlight range with the background keyframe. If used in a smart way, you can take advantage of it, case in point, using large sunlight range numbers to get shadows showing in far away shoots of the scenario where the glitches aren't noticeable.

This is what I sent to @david a while ago showcasing an example (look at the screenshots to see the improvement)

If you don't use "follow camera", it's just impossible to animate in big schematics since the sunlight range cannot cover all of it (and increasing the sunlight range above about 3000 starts making the shadows look odd) so im forced to use "follow camera" which means I get that glitch where the shadow awkwardly changes position when instant camera transitions happen due that small delay.

Being able to change sunlight range value with the "background" keyframe would also be really helpful in certain situations, because in certain shots it looks really odd when the shadows suddendly stop being casted (for example aerial shots where you see most of the scenario from a distance)

TBrv3C9.png

See the sudden cut in shadows. This is with default 2000 sunlight range value. If I at least had a way to change the sunlight range on the fly with the background keyframe, I would set it to something like 5000 or whatever to cover the entire scene, and it would look nice, since you can't notice shadows going weird from the distance even if you increase it to like 6000+. This can make distant shots have a depthness to it thanks to the shadows, as all mountains, trees etc cast shadows, it looks really cool.

n8iiwCq.png

Notice the great difference with pic above. Same distance set to 5600 value. No noticeable weird stuff with the shadows since we are too distant from the ground.

Then for shots that are non distant and you need high shadow definition, you change it back to 2000 so you don't get the ugly looking shadows way (specially shadows that characters cast upon itselves as they move which start looking really odd at anything higher than 3000).

I think its a great idea.

Hope this makes sense and you can work something out of it.

Edited by moniker

Another thing that doesn't make much sense that isn't availible to be tweaked with keyframes is "DOF blur size". It shouldn't be an option that you can only change once on "settings", this should be part of the DOF options on the camera object, so you can tweak the amount of blur you want along with the range and depth, so you aren't stuck with the same amount of blur for duration of the animation. You could create very cool cinematic effects if you could tweak "DOF blur size" at will with the keyframes.