HOW TO - Pose your characters correctly

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

A lot people make wallpapers/animations with horrendous posing. People tell them to fix it, but people don't tell them how.

So I made this post so that if you see someone whose animation is in need of some good posing, you can link them to this.

KYLNngB.png

The first is boring, stiff, awkward. It It has no personality. It has no effect on the world. It looks unnatural because humans do not stiffen up like that, they have structure but they are not cardboard boxes, they squish like balloons but are strong enough to punch at the speed of a bullet.Avoid it like the plague.

The second is more nuanced(little expressions).It has a more "tactile" feel to it, but it's boring, repetitive and bland to look at. It's symmetrical. It's just boring ;-; normally humans are never in a symmetrical pose unless they are soldiers.

The third has power, dominance, it speaks RESPECT. 

The third is better because of the asymmetrical of the arms and turn of the hips.The way the leg on the right bends out and the leg on the let bends outwards. 

The puffing out of the chest is a dominant body posture and as such gives personality to the character. The wide demeanor of the arms and wild asymmetry sparks surplus amount of confidence. It brings life because of simple things like the character bending under it's own weight

SUMMARY

MAKE THE BODY ASYMMETRICAL; If the right arm bends in towards the body, make the left bend outwards to.

EXAGGERATE POSES; In real life, Humans have evolved to see little defections in peoples faces to make sense of other peoples emotions, you need to exaggerate that in emotion because that mechanic is lost in the block-y, non-realistic mine craft characters.

rhVGObx.png

Remember, the human face has 43 damn muscles all coordinating together to make emotions like: happy, sad, joy, angry.

So you better exaggerate the HELL out of that face.

THE STRONGER THE EMOTION THE WILDER THE BODY; A mine craft character who has bored is going to have his arms leaning out less then a mine craft characters who's found a diamond ore.

DO THE SMALL THINGS; Bend the characters legs a little because humans are not weightless. The bending is a little thing that goes along way because it signifies weight. Bend the legs even more when the character is carrying something

dOh5YJd.png

THIS IS A DAMN GOOD POINT THAT I MISSED

THE Third pose is dramatic it gives the impression the character is heroic and in a heroic place.

But for a calm; mellow scene you should calm the pose...relax him a little bit

maybe unbend the right arm and make the character sit instead.

Well Done to @EthanForeverAlone for pointing that out.

This has been my first tutorial, please give me criticism on it. I hoped this will aid YOU in your animations :thumbsup: Suggest more ideas for tutorials please!

Edited by CisforCrispr

That's pretty cool, but you need to pose around your situation. The third speaks to me as "a heroic situation." For more of a calm situation, you might want to make the body parts posed more suddenly, though you still want to keep it a lot of it asymmetrical.  

7 minutes ago, EthanForeverAlone said:

That's pretty cool, but you need to pose around your situation. The third speaks to me as "a heroic situation." For more of a calm situation, you might want to make the body parts posed more suddenly, though you still want to keep it a lot of it asymmetrical.  

Fantastic point Ethan, I added your comment into the topic :thumbsup: