Circular Lights Trouble

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

Hello guys!

So, i'm having a little trouble with a TARDIS rig... As some people should know, the tardis from the real series have the "outer circular lights", these lights are around the console room, and when the tardis is on flight, it keep rotating around the console room... You can see it in the gif below

rotor.gif

To recreate this effect in my tardis on mine-imator i thought in put the light holes on the wall and rotate a cube with full brightness in the back, it should make the effect that we want, well... Almost worked. In this print you can see that we have a light working great:

IO2LMxM.png

But, when we rotate de central point to make the light make the turn to the other wall we have this...

ak7We5W.png

Yeah... Basically it's happening because the walls aren't curved, they are straight pieces that together makes the curve of the TARDIS walls. However the light makes a perfect rotation and a perfect curve, this makes the block of light overcome the wall. I want to know how to fix this... If there is a way to make the block light go straight ahead and the make the right curve on the wall and then go straight again... I really don't know how to fix it, someone help me pleaaassee!!!

5 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Mike said:

You might have to use a light for every section, and then just set them up to go one at time so it looks fluid.

Yeahh... But this gonna take hours to animate, and it's gonna be really really hard to synchronize all the 17 lights from the 17 walls... Must be another waaay ;-;

8 hours ago, EM BLOCOS said:

Yeahh... But this gonna take hours to animate, and it's gonna be really really hard to synchronize all the 17 lights from the 17 walls... Must be another waaay ;-;

Make the inside of the hole bigger, and the light bigger aswell but farther from the actuall hole

On 3/11/2017 at 3:44 AM, EM BLOCOS said:

Hello guys!

So, i'm having a little trouble with a TARDIS rig... As some people should know, the tardis from the real series have the "outer circular lights", these lights are around the console room, and when the tardis is on flight, it keep rotating around the console room... You can see it in the gif below

To recreate this effect in my tardis on mine-imator i thought in put the light holes on the wall and rotate a cube with full brightness in the back, it should make the effect that we want, well... Almost worked. In this print you can see that we have a light working great:

But, when we rotate de central point to make the light make the turn to the other wall we have this...

Yeah... Basically it's happening because the walls aren't curved, they are straight pieces that together makes the curve of the TARDIS walls. However the light makes a perfect rotation and a perfect curve, this makes the block of light overcome the wall. I want to know how to fix this... If there is a way to make the block light go straight ahead and the make the right curve on the wall and then go straight again... I really don't know how to fix it, someone help me pleaaassee!!!

I might be able to help with this, I have my own 12th doctors tardis room.  (It got corrupted though) and i had the same problem, just msg me back and we can talk about fixing it :D

Edited by ExteriorGiraffe