Online Mine-imator

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Should I try this?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like me to make this?

DONT.

Dont take it too hard, but dont. Like @AbAppletic said, it will be a waste of time, and probably wont come out as anything. The least youll probably get is a 2D image. Because, well, to do these things, you need:

1. A advanced mind for coding (Which I doubt you have)

2. GM Studio Pro, because the Lite wont let you export Javascript or HTML with that complicated setup.

3. Someway to get the shaders imported onto a website (Best bet, chrome add-on)

4. A hosting platform (Like GoDaddy or somesort)

And 5. A network, because, well, you wont be able to just get people to connect like WHAMMO! Either a gigantic sea of people probably deanimating your "project", or have people host their own server + hamachi

Im not trying to be mean, just giving out my opinion. If you do manage to get these things up and such, there is always costs and things.

Good luck anyways :L

This topic is still going? I've already tried and gotten as far as it working, but even on a local network, the buffers lagged like a snitch in jail.

5 hours ago, Bananimator said:

The least youll probably get is a 2D image.

That's all Mineimator Exports, 2-D images with render depth and light ray triangulation to create the illusion of light and depth.
Unless you means something else.

Also I think he means 'Online' as in multiple people connecting to the same project via a server, not an online browser, so no need for shaders to be imported on a site or Javascript, all you'll need to send it positioning, current objects etc

On 26/10/2016 at 7:07 AM, 4ward animations said:

No it's not and when @Awesome Emerald and I make this, we won't let you even LOOK at it.

On 07/11/2016 at 2:50 AM, 4ward animations said:

Thanks! And none of you know, but I am 3/4th's done with this project....HA EVERYBODY THAT DISAGREED ARE BUTTS

If you're not gonna show us but claim it's almost done, then I dare say you're lying.

On 06/11/2016 at 3:50 PM, 4ward animations said:

Thanks! And none of you know, but I am 3/4th's done with this project....HA EVERYBODY THAT DISAGREED ARE BUTTS

I highly doubt you even know GML and if you do, I doubt you have actually do this. I mean, MI has thousands of scripts. It takes the best programming skill to make and polish a 2D game properly let alone make a 3D project in a 2D engine. Also you called the whole forum butts.

39 minutes ago, Dannyboi said:

I highly doubt you even know GML and if you do, I doubt you have actually do this. I mean, MI has thousands of scripts. It takes the best programming skill to make and polish a 2D game properly let alone make a 3D project in a 2D engine. Also you called the whole forum butts.

1. he is almost done

2. hes a really great scripter

2 hours ago, Progio said:

1. he is almost done

2. hes a really great scripter

This amounts to nothing beyond anecdotal evidence. Unless the truth is absolute, it is useless. For instance, here is a list of reasons explaining why it's not done:

• @4ward animations claims he is able to use GML, but refused to provide even the most basic of examples as to how he is.
    • Anecdotal evidence is not reliable from someone else who didn't claim to know what GML even is. While you didn't say or you did is of no relevance either, since that is something to open with when describing how you can tell others.
  • No proof
    • Pics or it didn't happen: No pics, no proof
    • No videos: same with pics. Not necessary, but not bad to have either
    • Word of mouth is only reliable with trusted/long-lasting members whom are reputable for telling what they know as the truth.
    • No full topic of it's own whatsoever. Less, if no credibility at best.
  • No plans to even release, 4ward even claimed that it even wouldn't let someone see if he had completed it either.
    • This reduces value in the whole plan as a whole, which makes what you plan to do hardly relevant anyways. Anybody would easily plan to make tools available to all, and to be anti-progressive is simply disregarding why they are making it in the first place.
    • More on the first point, why make an online mine-imator build if you didn't plan to release it to the public?

Why it's not possible/not going to work well:

• Engine limitations
    • Gamemaker can perform online functions, but it cannot tank a whole 3d rendered engine like Mine-imator.
    • Online functionality is shoddy at best, even for gamemaker. A good example is trying to play Risk of Rain without issues.
  • Development time would take ages, especially for one person.
  • Easily replaced by tossing a file back and fourth, such as using Git or Dropbox.
  • @Emunator, who is an acclaimed moderator and well known GML modder for Mine-imator, claims the engine has trouble with latency while using online.
    • This verifies that Emunator has created a successful variant of Mine-imator Online, but it didn't work as well as he had hoped.

How it can work, if executed:

• No real-time editing. Use periodic file updates.
    • This would be much easier on users, and reduces the need of having fast ping.
    • Reduces strain on the engine.
  • Prevent animation griefing
    • Option to user-lock things made by you. (Such as you animating a character, and nobody can make changes but you.)
  • Dedicated servers, with dropbox/git linking to projects.
    • I think the benefit outweighs the need to host LAN.
    • Having a single git/dropbox folder that updates with each file means anyone can simply access whatever's in the project at any time.
      • Limit 4 users per server, if able.

But honestly, using Git or Dropbox with friends and simply taking turns on a single project works much smoother than simply needing online function. I have a clear foundation on how it could work, but not considering any of what I've said means you are amounting to nothing with your efforts. I don't aim to be condescending when I say it, but you need to not try this if even those way above your pay grade have tried and failed. I'm sorry to say that it's merely a fantasy right now.

On 9/16/2016 at 11:22 AM, Juno said:

Looolll 

Good luck with putting a working online server/Lan support into a dated game engine. You would be paying out of pocket for hosting.

Actually GMS is pretty up to date, and already supports networking. However, the built in server system is garbage and should be written in a different language. You wouldn't need dedicated servers for something like this, so no need to pay for hosting. However, this project will flop. It's possible, but it would be extremely complicated to do. You would need to have a good understanding of networking, coding, and how Mine-Imator works, let alone a ton of time and effort. It wouldn't be worth it. A friend and I was working on our own community edition a good while before Nimi made his. We didn't get very far. We did have a chat system working, but that alone took a week to do, and it was very hacky.

Edit: Just read Über's comment. It goes well more into depth than mine, read it.

Edited by RobotCoveredWithHumanFlesh

This is a good idea to port MI into web-based app. But if you decided to make it possible, there is absolutely more and more challenging you have to face to. Such as how do you render movie to user's local storage, and how to open user's Minecraft world files.

Good idea, but need to be consider more.