Jump to content
moniker

Shadow glitch when "Follow camera" enabled (gif)

Recommended Posts

I was making an animation in a pretty big schematic and enabled "Follow camera" so characters that are far from each other in different spots get shadows looking good (if you make the "sunlight range too big, the shadows look bad so you are forced to use "Follow camera")

 

The problem with this is, when you do shots from different angles, there is a delay and the shadow doesn't adjust properly to the next camera position, so the shadow does an akward jump... hard to explain so just look at this gif:

4hoE3ZE.gif

This needs to be fixed... please don't tell me to "just cut the frame manually with a video editor for every single camera shoot"... just no. I donated for this project so I would like stuff like this to be fixed.

I hope @David takes a look at this.

PS: The glitch happens when you render the final video too.. it's not just a real-time delay (I wouldn't mind this if it's rendered properly), the actual video has the glitch too. Maybe it could be fixed by adding a delay compensation when rendering or something.

 

Edited by moniker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, iSheep said:

same problem im having.  its really annoying i know but for now we can't fix it.  

Why we can't fix it? there must be a way... having to edit it manually to cut every single frame is simply insane.

As of right now the program is useless if you are trying to make an animation that happens in a schematic that's bigger than what's covered with the sunlight range, since follow camera gives you that glitch. This is very limiting... I hope @David takes a look at it and fixes it. This is a major annoyance.

It's really frustrating to see how much potential this program has, but the workflow gets ruined because you keep encountering all those bugs.

Edited by moniker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it noticeable when exporting at 60fps? I imagine it will be pretty hard to spot at that speed. I don't have any time to fix it right now (and for a while) I'm afraid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David said:

Is it noticeable when exporting at 60fps? I imagine it will be pretty hard to spot at that speed. I don't have any time to fix it right now (and for a while) I'm afraid.

Yes, I can still notice the awkward jump. To be honest I don't know what to do... im stuck and I don't know how to continue since I don't see any workarounds, except cutting manually on the video editor all of those frames which is nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would also be ideal if we could switch on and off "follow camera" with a keyframe, because sometimes it's useful and sometimes it doesn't.

Edited by moniker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im suffering from this too!!! I knew there was something off with my animations... turns out it's the shadows.
I have a pretty big youtube channel, promised a new animation, now im stuck since I can't release the animation im working at since I need the follow camera option turned on and the subs are getting tired of waiting :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, larry said:

Im suffering from this too!!! I knew there was something off with my animations... turns out it's the shadows.
I have a pretty big youtube channel, promised a new animation, now im stuck since I can't release the animation im working at since I need the follow camera option turned on and the subs are getting tired of waiting :(

Really? What moniker do you use for your channel? I'd like to look it up ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David said:

Really? What moniker do you use for your channel? I'd like to look it up ;) 

www.youtube.com/SuicidalDueShadowGlitchPleaseFix

1 hour ago, Mafa Animations said:

Maybe use more than 1 camera?

There are no workarounds, I tried it all... the only way is to manually cut all those 1-frame events where the shadow is maladjusted, which is not going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, moniker said:

www.youtube.com/SuicidalDueShadowGlitchPleaseFix

There are no workarounds, I tried it all... the only way is to manually cut all those 1-frame events where the shadow is maladjusted, which is not going to happen.

Maybe use a fake one instead?  Turn off the sun by making the sunlight color to black and parent a point light instead. Don't forget to make the range high. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mafa Animations said:

Maybe use a fake one instead?  Turn off the sun by making the sunlight color to black and parent a point light instead. Don't forget to make the range high. 

I don't get it. What do I parent the point light with? As far as I know the "sun" is not an object that you can parent things to.

You meant it parent to the camera? It's going to look off as the camera moves.. it's supposed to be a fixed source of light.

I have been trying to play with your idea but unfortunately it's the same as making the sunlight range higher... shadows start looking awkward. For example the shadow of the head of the characters projected on their chest or the shadows moving grass and leaves project, they aren't defined so it looks weird.

Edited by moniker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, moniker said:

www.youtube.com/SuicidalDueShadowGlitchPleaseFix

FYI, creating multiple accounts (whether or not you use them to support your own topics) is against the rules for numerous reasons. You should read them again here: 

 I'll go ahead and merge the posts of your two accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an idea, but it would be kinda time consuming: Moving the selected piece of scenery into the sunlight range and instead of moving characters, using the visibility on characters and other things

instead of using follow camera

Edited by MusicalPixelDroid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MusicalPixelDroid said:

I had an idea, but it would be kinda time consuming: Moving the selected piece of scenery into the sunlight range and instead of moving characters, using the visibility on characters and other things

instead of using follow camera

I tried this and doesn't really work. You need to move absolutely everything into the sunlight range which as you said becomes too time consuming...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/7/2016 at 11:23 PM, iSheep said:

same problem im having.  its really annoying i know but for now we can't fix it.  

Did you find out a solution by any chance? I like to use follow camera since I use big schematics, so I get the glitch.. what I have been doing is cutting manually every frame after an instant transition in sony vegas. Needless to say this workaround could be used by Kim Jong-un as a torture method.

Edited by moniker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2016 at 1:12 PM, moniker said:

Did you find out a solution by any chance? I like to use follow camera since I use big schematics, so I get the glitch.. what I have been doing is cutting manually every frame after an instant transition in sony vegas. Needless to say this workaround could be used by Kim Jong-un as a torture method.

Editing your shots and cutting frames is a part of video editing, and post-production in general (I consider this type of thing "normal", but maybe I'm weird like that). You probably could've done so many times over with all the time you've put into posting about the problem itself.

Turn on some good music and start cutting away, you'll be done in no time. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/10/2016 at 8:20 PM, AnxiousCynic said:

Editing your shots and cutting frames is a part of video editing, and post-production in general (I consider this type of thing "normal", but maybe I'm weird like that). You probably could've done so many times over with all the time you've put into posting about the problem itself.

Turn on some good music and start cutting away, you'll be done in no time. ;)

How about we fix the actual software? If you make a 10 minute animation you have tons of cutting to do which could be spent doing something more interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moniker said:

How about we fix the actual software? If you make a 10 minute animation you have tons of cutting to do which could be spent doing something more interesting.

And if it doesn't get fixed? David has already said he doesn't have time to work on it, right now.

I don't see the point in complaining about something, when the time you spend doing that could be spent on a workaround for the problem. You could use the Timeline selection tool and only render the sections that you want, then you can edit worry-free. All softwares have limitations and glitches, finding ways to get around that is part of the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/10/2016 at 6:40 PM, AnxiousCynic said:

And if it doesn't get fixed? David has already said he doesn't have time to work on it, right now.

I don't see the point in complaining about something, when the time you spend doing that could be spent on a workaround for the problem. You could use the Timeline selection tool and only render the sections that you want, then you can edit worry-free. All softwares have limitations and glitches, finding ways to get around that is part of the process.

If it doesnt get fixed then it's a dissapointment. I have been doing exactly that (cutting the frames manually like I said before) for years (ever since "follow camera" option exists).

This is ok as a temporal workaround, but the point of making software better is to not have to resort to annoying workarounds, the program has just to work as expected, and nobody expects to have to manually cut 1 frame from each transition. It's something that needs a fix.

Also sometimes you have particles flying from a previous scene so you can't render with the selection tool, you need the whole sequence rendered in a row. And sometimes deleting that 1 frame cuts a bit the flow of the transition. There has to be a way to engineer a delay compensation method while rendering that properly moves the shadows to the correct placement right on time without having that 1 frame delay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nimithis is insanely annoying. Sometimes you need that first frame on fast paced animations, just 1 frame can make a big difference, this is just so annoying. Could this be fixed? it's been years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, moniker said:

@Nimithis is insanely annoying. Sometimes you need that first frame on fast paced animations, just 1 frame can make a big difference, this is just so annoying. Could this be fixed? it's been years.

you are aware when you set it to follow camera it says "not recommended for animations" right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...