[Suggestion] Texture Mapping

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Would you use this if this was added to Mine-imator?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use this if this was added to Mine-imator?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not that good at rigging, but I think a lot of people will use this.

So I have a suggestion that most likely won't be added, since @David has stopped adding features to Mine-imator and is only adding blocks, mobs, ect., but I would like to at least just make this topic so people can see how useful it would be and how big of a difference it would be for rigs in the future.

So basically, I would like Texture Mapping to be added.

Now some people are wondering, what is Texture Mapping, how does it work?

Well, texture mapping is when the program maps selected pixels from a texture, onto an object. Here's a visual on how it works.

Spoiler

Lets say I wanted to make a surface that has the texture the side of the Iron Golem's arm. I would import this image here, to the Mine-imator project as a texture.

003bde098f424e502a3b723c0f379ecd.png

Now I would create a surface and choose a "texture map" option would appear above the browse option, when the texture mapping window comes up, you will be able to choose what texture you want from the textures you've imported to your project. You would then choose your Iron Golem texture, and highlight the part you want to use.

a9b3e63cba37dd132630520a39cebb28.png

And there would be a button to press to 'okay' the action. Mine-imator would now use that part of the iron golem texture, for the surface.

0eafe480ba8f1770b05fd989edab5024.png

The surface can now be re-sized and such to your needs. Oh, an "auto pixel scale" button would be bad either, it would multiply the number of pixels of the texture, by 0.0625 and set the necessary scale.

f95b784f9a15183cde8e0fee2dde6d3d.png

I would like texture mapping to be available for surfaces and and cubes(You would do the same process for all the sides.)

I would at least like for David to take this into consideration, it would allow less space to be token up, less textures to be used, and would make texture swapping easy. :D

Just now, Varen said:

I didn't read the entire post and so I might be wrong here, why not map it onto a cube?

Because you would need to go through the trouble of stretching parts of the texture in an editing program, and you would need multiple cube textures. Which both of those can be very tedious, especially the scaling. While with this, you would import one texture, and Mine-imator would use different parts of it, for multiple objects.

1 minute ago, blockerlocker said:

If Varen can do it, and I can do it, then it can be done again. Don't be lay-z.

Yeah, i've created like 75 percent of that red reptillian thing rig with only cubes and texturing, it wasn't that hard, I just needed to adjust the textures.

21 minutes ago, blockerlocker said:

19 minutes ago, Varen said:

Yeah, i've created like 75 percent of that red reptillian thing rig with only cubes and texturing, it wasn't that hard, I just needed to adjust the textures.

What, so Mine-imator is better off without UV mapping? and I thought this would help people get better at rigging, save space, make rigs more efficient and make for easy texture swapping, guess I was wrong

3 hours ago, blockerlocker said:

You sound like you're saying that sinc it's possible to do it in a way, that means suggesting a much simpler and tons more efficient way is useless. x3

11 hours ago, PikaMasterzMC said:

Because you would need to go through the trouble of stretching parts of the texture in an editing program, and you would need multiple cube textures. Which both of those can be very tedious, especially the scaling. While with this, you would import one texture, and Mine-imator would use different parts of it, for multiple objects.

You can do it easily by adding a sizing grid of 0.0625 or 0.03125

5 hours ago, David said:

Have you tried texture horizontal/vertical offset and repeat in the library?

I just now tried it, but you would need a lot of surfaces which would take up a lot of space in the library. I tried doing it with a cube, but all of the sides' textures are synced together. :/