Mod Request(?) - Glow effects (with explanations)

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Hey guys. Glow is a feature that's been suggested quite a lot, and that was even considered to be added in 1.0.0, but... unfortunately, this isn't the case. However, with the source code being available for everyone, I managed to come up with a hypothetical method that, according to David, could potentially work. But since I have no coding experience, I was thinking that some experienced coder out here could do it. :P

My method is based on what Mine-imator uses to render depth of field. Basically, the program will take the initial frame and create a blur passe by duplicating the frame and diverging those duplicates and merging them together. Then, it uses a depth map to restrict the blur effect to a particular zone, defined by the DoF settings:

7B4FJS4.png

For glow effects, I'm thinking about using something similar. Basically, it'd involve having a passe of the object that has the glow effect enabled that'd be tinted based on the color the player uses. That passe would then be blurred using the same method as used by DoF, by diverging a bunch of duplicates. Finally, the resulting glow passe would be merged with the initial render passe to create the final rendered image. c:

c3TOpzQ.png

This is the most efficient way to do it I could think about, it doesn't seem too difficult to implement, as this is based on an existing feature, and it wouldn't be much laggier than depth of field! So, if there's anyone who can code, maybe you could give it a try? <3