Particle Effects Activation/Duration

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

I'm having some trouble figuring out the particle editor. I can create the particle effects that I like easily, the direction, transition (from 1 particle frame to another), etc. What I can't figure out is how to cause the effect to only activate once the camera has switched to the frame I want it to start in. Not particle "types" frames from the particle creator, but on the timeline. They seem to be active constantly and randomly and may or may not be visible in the frame during any given playback regardless of where I place the particle on the timeline.

For instance in the picture below, I want to have the particle effect START it's animation at 115 on the timeline, animate for 1 frame, ending at 116 on the timeline. No matter what I do with the values that seem like they would affect this, the animation of the particles starts and ends randomly and always repeats randomly. I need it to look like a bullet has hit a zombie, blood splatters from it's body for an instant, then dissolves into the air. Is this something I can do in Mine-imator, or should I just do it during the post-processing in after effects?

I can get the animation itself to "flash" for an instant the way I want, but it just keeps repeating this over and over and over randomly. I want it to animate once starting at 115 and end at 116 and not happen again.  And while I'm asking questions, how do I add media directly to the post rather than posting it on another site and linking to it (specifically videos)?

Sample.png

3 answers to this question

I recommend just having the particle spawner spawn 1000 particles a second and only having it spawn particles in that single frame. You enable/disable particles from spawning with keyframes by pressing the particle spawner keyframe and scroll all the way down to "Spawn particles"! ^_^ hope it helped.

though i dont quite understand what you're trying to say..

On the starting frame of the particle in the timeline turn off spawn particles in the tab with scaling/rotate/position. then it should start spawning when ever you make a new key frame and click spawn particles

I think this did it. Thanks! I also tried just adding a particle frame at 114 and set to visible off and one at 116 set to visible off and this seems to do the trick too.

I recommend just having the particle spawner spawn 1000 particles a second and only having it spawn particles in that single frame. You enable/disable particles from spawning with keyframes by pressing the particle spawner keyframe and scroll all the way down to "Spawn particles"! ^_^ hope it helped.

though i dont quite understand what you're trying to say..

Wasn't sure how to ask it. Sorry for the confusion. I'm a bit confused myself :D I think I got it though..