Perfectly Mimicking the Natural Look of Vanilla MC

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

Hello!

A project I'm working on requires as close to a seamless transition from PixelCam captured movement to an animation as possible. 

The showcases and how-to content here are great, but they all lean toward fancier effects.  What I'm after is for the viewer not to immediately know they're no longer watching machinima.  Then, as the scene develops, more complex effects ensue. 

Does anyone know of some work I can look at and study? A tutorial would be wonderful, but I'm not holding my breath.

Logo_Spark.jpg

Cheers!

Lich

Edited by Archlich

6 answers to this question

you can turn off shadows of opjects in their 'graphic' settings, and then produce a fake shadow with a transparent texture or similar

You can mimic the animation style of minecraft by looking at the animations in minecraft and then try to reproduce them in Mine-Imator

Edited by myluki2000

Oh,

I recorded seven minutes or so in survival, to show character resting behavior, walking forward, running forward, walking backward, stepping down off a block, climbing up onto a block, turning around, and jumping.

I loaded it into VSDC Video Editor, slowed it to 30%, zoomed in, and maxed-out certain settings.

Even converted to grayscale, the result has taken over 2 hours to render, yielding a 20 minute, 2-Gig study aid.

I'm also looking into color-grading tools, just in case the lighting in Mine Imator and my video editing toolkit can't go the last yoctometer.

Trying to reproduce them?  Yeah. You could say I'm on it.

Thanks.

So, to repeat myself:

Does anyone know of some work I can look at and study?

The problem is that Minecraft and Mine-imator use different ways of rendering light and shadows.

In Minecraft, lighting is calculated per block. Each block has a different lighting value that depends on the proximity of a light source, like the sky or a light-emitting block. This is much more noticeable when you turn off the smooth lighting option. The engine also supports ambient occlusion, which darkens corners to give the illusion of realistic lighting.

Mine-imator, on the other hand, uses shadow mapping, which allows for more realistic looking shadows compared to Minecraft's basic lighting engine. However, unlike Minecraft, Mine-imator doesn't support ambient occlusion. (yet?)

It's impossible to perfectly recreate Minecraft-style lighting in Mine-imator. The closest you can have is fake ambient occlusion by increasing the shadow size in the options and disabling shadows on characters and items to replace them with sprites of transparent circles.

...fake ambient occlusion by increasing the shadow size in the options and disabling shadows on characters and items to replace them with sprites of transparent circles.

Yeah! myluki2000 mentioned that as well:

you can turn off shadows of opjects(sic) in their 'graphic' settings, and then produce a fake shadow with a transparent texture or similar

There's no way to have Mine Imator duplicate that vignette that looks so nice. Oh well. Off it goes in the recording I guess. 

Ambient occlusion might just have to go.  What about Mipmapping? 

Thank you both ;)

L.

Thanks_a_Bunch_Tone_Mapped.jpg

Edited by Archlich