How to Make Shadows Extremely Detailed!

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Heavenira here! Today, I was thinking about this method that could make Mine-imator shadows MUCH more realistic! Are you ready to see what I discovered? Click on the following spoiler to see the results!

Results;

Compare the Following Animations' Shadows:

http://youtu.be/LgSRvXBAz_4

http://youtu.be/YJ5O9uaAzOQ

How to Accomplish;

1. Add the desired object/character.

2. Scale it up to a minimum of 8x and a maximum of 32x. (The higher the scale, the better the shadows.)

3. If you have any other objects, scale it up to the amount you just used.

It's that easy!

Cons;

1. Forces you to turn clouds off (to prevent bad results).

2. Forces you to turn the default ground off (to prevent bad results).

3. Makes camera movement MUCH slower (since your characters will technically be giants).

4. Uses more processing power/RAM.

5. You can only do this before you start making an animation.

Recommended Options;

1. Turn clouds off.

2. Turn the default ground off.

3. In the options, change the shadow size to 3.

4. Use schematics to create scenery (to prevent a painstaking process of scaling and placing each block).

5. For positioning things, enable the grid and change the grid size to 128.

If you don't understand something, feel free to comment! And hit that Like button if this helped you!

or you could do this

158aus5.jpg

2m2vwjp.jpg

14weio3.jpg

This may be true, but animations you see created by Blender, Maya, C4D, or etc. has a much more crisp shadow. Mine-imator 1.0.0 normally leaves you no choice but to create a very heavy blur. The blur could only come in handy if Mine-imator had an ambient effect.

This may be true, but animations you see created by Blender, Maya, C4D, or etc. has a much more crisp shadow. Mine-imator 1.0.0 normally leaves you no choice but to create a very heavy blur. The blur could only come in handy if Mine-imator had an ambient effect.

If you add both this and the up scaling you'd probably get a good shadow... shame it doesn't blur the shadow when it gets further from the object

Actually playing around with the settings can produce about the same effect.

My settings are as follows with the result also shown:

7936bffdf3.jpg

Now while it isn't perfect, it gets nearly the sharp shadows you are looking for. Perhaps David will make sharp and soft shadows an option in the future?

Actually playing around with the settings can produce about the same effect.

My settings are as follows with the result also shown:

7936bffdf3.jpg

Now while it isn't perfect, it gets nearly the sharp shadows you are looking for. Perhaps David will make sharp and soft shadows an option in the future?

That image does look like the method shown above. However, when you try animating it, you will most likely get a more pixelated shadow and your character moves. The main idea of the tip was to prevent this from happening.

I usually put my settings;

• Sunlight Detail: Insane
  • Camera Detail: Insane
  • Shadow Size: 0
  • Shadow Quality: 64

This usually gives extremely good detailed, sharp and nice looking shadows.
Also changing the sunlight range aswell as the new feature of rotating the sunlight direction also helps giving off the perfect shadowing.