Need Opinions on Animation

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

I need opinions on this thing I made. It's a bit old but I would like to continue animating this idea, I just need some opinions and criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8xML-LKXc&feature=youtu.be

Things I know already:
- In the viewpoint the animation is sh*t.
- Some parts of the characters go through the objects and themselves.
- The doors stay open.
- There is no sound.
- I'm not an animator.

Edited by Sixsino

Welp, I'd say the basic movements are pretty decent. The story (with some loose interpretation) can be understood through the visuals. There are some flaws here and there, (such as the bobbing heads, though I'm not sure if that's a stylistic choice) but you've made something that's pretty enjoyable.

I'm not the best at explaining, but here I go.

To be honest the movements in the first 4 seconds were not bad. But could use more work, try experimenting with transitions to make it better.

Now, the characters look stiff and boring. Add in some personality into how the characters stand by messing around with posing. 

Next work on idle movements so it looks more alive. Even small movement to show that they're breathing would work for now.

Now walk cycles, you're one of the few newbies that actually made their characters not drag their feet. Now to make the walking better is to add in some gravity to the characters. 

Try following this walk cycle for reference:

Spoiler

Related image

Now be sure to be consistent with portraying your characters personality by modifying the walk to match how you would think they would walk. Also remember if one foot is forward, the arm on the same side with the foot should be back.

AND finally, lighting, my favorite part, but the hardest for me to explain. So just look up lighting tutorials, like Kiepocu's tutorials. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, EthanForeverAlone said:

I am quite confused. What was happening.

It's from a story i'm writing. It would make more sense if I actually added the dialog.

2 hours ago, ThatGuyBrian said:

Welp, I'd say the basic movements are pretty decent. The story (with some loose interpretation) can be understood through the visuals. There are some flaws here and there, (such as the bobbing heads, though I'm not sure if that's a stylistic choice) but you've made something that's pretty enjoyable.

Thank you. And the bobbing head thing is just how I decided to make them talk (since I don't know how animate the mouth and synchronize it to sound).

1 hour ago, Pigeon_ said:

I'm not the best at explaining, but here I go.

To be honest the movements in the first 4 seconds were not bad. But could use more work, try experimenting with transitions to make it better.

Now, the characters look stiff and boring. Add in some personality into how the characters stand by messing around with posing. 

Next work on idle movements so it looks more alive. Even small movement to show that they're breathing would work for now.

Now walk cycles, you're one of the few newbies that actually made their characters not drag their feet. Now to make the walking better is to add in some gravity to the characters. 

Try following this walk cycle for reference:

Reveal hidden contents

Related image

Now be sure to be consistent with portraying your characters personality by modifying the walk to match how you would think they would walk. Also remember if one foot is forward, the arm on the same side with the foot should be back.

AND finally, lighting, my favorite part, but the hardest for me to explain. So just look up lighting tutorials, like Kiepocu's tutorials. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you for the explanation (it was better than you think) and the tips. The second character (the one that walks in) is supposed to be a little stiff in movement but i understand what you mean. I will work on this animation a little more considering the points people here have given me ^^.

17 hours ago, SkythecreeperCS said:

Not bad.

if you cant get audio to work in Mine-imator, then just edit it in using some video editing software, i quit YT before i even started though so i dont know any good programs

i noticed some attention to detail, such as the (dress? skirt?) bobbing as the girl moved

you got something pretty good going

Thank you. I know how audio works I have done it to several games I've developed but I'm not a voice actor and I honestly just get bored with trying to find the right sounds.

But thank you for the compliment ^^