How do I animate large cities without lag?

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

So, currently what I'm doing is using only city blocks... Like each few hundred blocks is it's own block, and I've put them together like legos, and only have one visable at a time... But even then it's risky.

Is there another way to animate large schematics without lag?

5 answers to this question

My Suggestions: These can be done individually or together.

1. Render Multiple Videos. Render the foreground, then the background (can be multiple). Layer them on top of each other. 
  2. Take screenshots of the background and use that instead
  3. Render camera cuts individually. Removing unused assets from the scene to reduce lag.
  4. Split the scene into multiple project files. Example: Scenery, Characters, Particles, Background. Then have someone with a more powerful computer put them together and render it for you.

You can also empty the buildings that are not being used. Remove all the blocks that are not visible. Use dof and/or fog. 

Edited by GbStudio

3 hours ago, ICExz13 said:

So, currently what I'm doing is using only city blocks... Like each few hundred blocks is it's own block, and I've put them together like legos, and only have one visable at a time... But even then it's risky.

Is there another way to animate large schematics without lag?

28 minutes ago, SteampunkSkeleton said:

From what I can tell you need more RAM or a beefier CPU. Not sure though.

Cutting your scenery into pieces with only one being rendered at a time. You can just toggle invisibility on the different sceneries if you want to do it in one project. But either way, I recommend upgrading your specs if you're looking towards good framerate with larger schematics. If your processor is above 3Ghz and your ram is 8 gb or more, all you really need to focus on, is getting a better gpu. I mean... My processor only runs at 3.4 Sure I may have 16 gb of ram, but memory isn't the greater issue in mineimator, it's the gpu. I have a 1080 wich obliterates any schematic you throw at it.

I'm not kidding:

zcXQ861.png

And of course I'm not saying you should get a 1080 but a gtx 1060 with 3gb  of vram is fairly cheap and gets the job done if you want something more budget friendly.

Either way, it's up to you how to tackle this problem :) 

Edited by TheCryingSquid

I myself have a 1050 Ti with a 6-core 3.5 ghz processor and 12 GB ram. It gets laggy with 512x512 schematics, but without rendering it's buttery smooth and great for animating. I picked it up for $120 too, a killer deal. If you are going to buy a new GPU however, wait, because the Ethereum mining craze recently ended and prices are dropping.