Not having items moved when parented

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

When making wallpapers or animations, I like things to be less cluttered so I will often parent objects to one another if they are supposed to move together. But there are countless times, when I'm setting something up (ie: Giving a character a sword) that I put it in the right placement, but then I have to parent it. Fantastic. I've just wasted my time setting this up and now when I go to parent it, it flies away from what I was parenting it to. I don't see a real reason for it to do this, but if there is let me know, and if there isn't I hope a dev fixes this.

Thanks! 

The point of origin (on the 3d plane) of the of the object you want to parent it to is different from the point of origin of the project.

For example, the arm's point of origin is about 12 units on the y axis and maybe 6 units on the x axis, but it is also parented to the body, which is 12 units on the y axis, and the body is parented to the folder that contains the character.

An un-parented item (as mentioned by Dr. Cuto (who beat me to it while I was writing) ) still retains its coordinates, so when you parent it to the arm, the coordinates (and the rotation, color, and scaling too, if they're different) are added or subtracted with the parent's original coordinates.

This is a bad idea. why would you need the item permanently still? Moving it is what makes it cool to use, without it moving nothing would look cool! I used a moving sword locked to my arm in one of my animations, i used another sword of the same type not locked to my arm to make it look like it was stuck in the ground because if i used my sword locked in the ground visible, it would move away. Even though i t was kindof hard, it doesn't mean objects that are locked need to be permanently stuck.

Just letting you know! :)