The Tan James's Mine-imator 1.0.0 Tutorial - Camera Angles

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

On 1/29/2016 at 10:27 AM, The Tan James said:

Über i don't care if its unscripted lmao. me stumbling over my words and trying to recover makes it entertaining. i guess lol

-snoot.mp4-

Yo homie snake G tutorials aren't supposed to be fun, but mainly informative. A tutorial can be fun, but not the other way around.

It's an easier way but ye don't wanna do it so i dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 hours ago, Voxy said:

>mfw people overuse the Dutch angle

-ECH.avi-

It's a bit of a stretch to say so in this example. In the first example it's mildly tilted, while a classic dutch angle is a more pronounced tilt which can be visibly seen. I'd say maybe 10 degrees from a horizontal line.
Though tilting doesn't always equal good camera shots which is good to mention. And that the purpose of a dutch angle is to illustrate tension in a scene. Not to showcase more of a scene in a simple way.

Anyways @The Tan James more directly to you there are some things you missed:

• Rotating shots (Camera movements that utilize rotation, like circling a character)
  • Following Shots with Complex movement (Like a camera hovering around to capture a character traversing an environment)
  • Parented Shots [Example]
  • Stationary Tracking Shots (Where the camera doesn't move but looks at a moving object/character)

Whether you use a script or not, covering more of these would be much appreciated.

Edited by ÜberKiller

1 minute ago, ÜberKiller said:

And that the purpose of a dutch angle is to illustrate tension in a scene.

And it can be used to make action scenes more dynamic. But using them for establishing shots? No no.

2 hours ago, Astro Animations said:

:facepalm:

My animations are now 3 times as good thanks to this tutorial.

You really couldn't figure out good camera angles yourself at all. These are REALLY easy to understand once you put some thought into it

2 hours ago, SDWAN said:

You really couldn't figure out good camera angles yourself at all. These are REALLY easy to understand once you put some thought into it

Exactly. This made me realize I should put thought into it. Made me realize I should be using the grid view, or "rule of third". Prior to watching this, I had no idea what the grid view was for, considered it useless, and differentiating the camera slightly, as well as depth of field, was no big deal. This is THE TAN JAMES for crying out loud. I should THINK he knows what he's DOING.

*tilting, not differentiating. Sheesh. Kindle fire + forums = something that sucks.