How To Make Text Dialogue

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

This was a reply to someone in the help section but I thought I would share it here

Their are a few ways to do this.

1. Fixed text:

You parent the text to your camera. This will make it so that you can see the dialogue while the camera is moving (similar to minecraft chat). The only downside is that there is no way (that I know of) to have one text object change its text during an animation. This means you need a number of text objects with each line the player is saying. I recommend that you make folders to organize your text objects.

If you have a video editing program, you can add text from there

2. 3d text:

When I mean 3d, I don't mean text with depth. I mean that the text can rotate around and move across the scene. Think of it like a comic. You can have the text shoot out of a character visually. This requires more work than the fixed text. You have to worry about: display (how good it looks) and movement (how it moves in the scene).

TIPS:

If a text object is not being used, make sure it is invisible and you can't see it

Make sure the audience knows who is talking. For fixed text, make it like minecraft and have something like this "[GoldenBullet72] Hi". For 3d text, you can have the camera focused on the character with the text or you can make the text come out of the character (but not like the character is throwing up). You can make your own method but it should look good

Make the text look good. Make sure it has good animations. If it doesn't look good, don't use text at all. Just use your own voice or not have the characters talk at all.

I hope this helped you 

21 hours ago, JjCinemas said:

This isn't in Mine-Imator Suggestions

Just make an item with an imported image of your text. Make sure it doesn't use texture sheet and make sure the image has transparent background.

If the edges are "halftransparent", open the image with paint.net or any other program and set its opacity to 200% and try again.