MobKiller's Animation Tips and Tricks Chapter 1

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

So over the course of making some animations i have been learning. You can say like school learning. I've been closely studying the movements positioning and physics of both man and object. Now before anyone says to the pictures/gifs I'm gonna show for me to like "Do tutorials not wallpapers/gif" Well, i like it this way cause people can go back and edit their mistakes, unlike videos which you have to redo to edit your mistakes. Anyway, onto the main topic. So here are a few things ive been studying of animation

• Force             
  • Momentum
  • Friction
  • Gravity       

Believe it or not (haha TV show reference) these all apply to everyone's animations, It's whether or not you use them correctly or not. So, in my style of animation i use a lot of transitions. Now, you might be thinking "What Transitions to use?! There is so many!!" Well, each movement has a certain type of transition. Transitions in my knowledge apply to force and momentum. Here is a few examples on what the heck I'm talking about.

So in these examples we are gonna use a simple object such as this sphere

. mhz9eaF.png

Linear

OK so now we got out basic object in place lets talk about force. Imagine a car driving down the road. Since its not slowing down or speeding up the car the car stays in the same force and the same speed. Linear transition would be the best movement to do at this point so it stays at a constant speed as well as the same force.

giphy.gif

Now we need to decide what speed the sphere should be moving in. So, this sphere is moving across the screen at a tempo of 24 and a keyframe space of 60 frames 60/24= 2.5 so it takes 2.5 seconds for the sphere to move across the screen.

Now onto Ease in

Ease In

Ease in applies force onto a object into the way they want to go and the object breaking away from this force. One good example would be a car at a red light. The car is motionless and in order to move forward after the light turns green the car has to pick up speed in a way. So, it accelerates until it moves at the optimum speed and keeps the speed. This is where Ease in Comes in use. I altered the keyframe space to 40 frames to show the best effect but you can find one that suits the movement the most

giphy.gif

As you can see the sphere takes sometime to pick up speed and go across the screen. This would be useful for blocks or other objects moving. Humans and mobs for example stay at a linear pace but in my opinion when they start moving i make the 2 sets of keyframes closest to the first keyframe  than the rest to give it a "Linear Ease in Motion" as i like to call it.

Now the brother of Ease In

Ease Out

So that car is driving down the road until the driver sees a obstacle or a red light in his way so in order to avoid any harm to him or others he must slow down thus letting the force pushing against the car become more powerful. And he slows down to a stop before any trouble happens. I altered the keyframes so its longer than the ease in so once again i can show you the full effect

giphy.gif

Now just like the Ease in Transition this is very good for objects such as blocks or items. You can also make a "Linear Ease Out" for mobs and characters by instead of altering the keyframes closet to the starting keyframe i alter the ones nearest to the ending keyframes. So its basically a reverse "Linear Ease In" you can say.

More info on Ease in and Ease Out:

• Ease in and ease out is also good for objects falling and rising Ease in for Falling, Ease Out for Rising. This can also be used for character movements like picking up a sword.

Ease In And Ease Out

So lets go to fighting for a bit. Ease In And Out in my knowledge looks best when a character swings and misses. Since the force would be much stronger at the beginning and end of the swing.

giphy.gif

Since there is no "Impact Point" to stop the force the swing continues on. Now, your probably wondering "Mob!! What the heck is a impact point!!" Well, a impact point is where a object/character hits another object/character with force is used in fighting animations alot. Like for example in @The Tan James 's MGB 1: Reality i noticed 44 Impact Points (counting hard falls, shockwave/explosion knockback and regular punches kick and sword hits. This will be discussed later on.) OK so back to impact points, Lets say a character gets knocked back by a shockwave the impact point would be where they get hit. Ease Out is what i would primarily use in this situation since the most force occurs at the beginning and they land near the end. You can experiment to find out what is best with you. Ease In however is good for punches since the force is used at the end where the person gets hit and it takes force to hit someone. Like a car gaining speed and then hitting something hard. Once again you can experiment to find out what is best with you.

To make this "Learning Session" not too long and because I'm tired i'm gonna leave it off here. If u enjoyed please tell me in the comments and what i should improve on and most importantly have a good day/night and i hope you are safe.

Also if anyone wants to help me with the Gifs please cause the Gifs might expire on me.

Edited by MobKiller Animations

Just now, XanderTheV said:

Good tutorial, please let me know if u added more info about law of phsyics.

Btw, how about cartoon physics? if u know what i mean.

That's in the next chapter along with other info and other stuff.