Portal Style Teleportation (Team Fate)

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

What do you think?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How is this tutorial?

• Great
    • Good
    • Ok
    • Bad
    • Very Bad
  2. 2. Have you learned anything?

• Yes
    • No

Assuming you did read the title (I will assume a lot in this tut), you should know that this is for Portal Style Teleportation. This is what your final product should look like once you are done.

Spoiler

What I will be covering:

Spoiler

• Actual Portal
  • Real Time Teleporting

Difficulty:

Spoiler

Easy but takes a long time

The difficulty will just depend on your actual animation. The creation of making this portal is easy.

Steps:

Now that you are ready to begin, lets start.

1: Set up your world

Spoiler

WebqGby.png

2: Spawn in a sphere. Make the sphere completely flat (0) and then make it the shape of the portal you want. If you are using the standard Steve like me then make the size match him.

3: Move the portal to your wall. If you want to do this quickly then skip this spoiler.

Spoiler

To make your portal be exactly (or about) on the wall, first, using the horizontal arrow, move the portal to the wall and at the moment it disappears, stop moving it. Now look at position values. Now move it to the point where it is about to go through the wall. Compare your 2 positions and click on the position to edit it. Change it to somewhere in the middle of those 2 values. Make sure it is visible. Move the camera around to see if there is any glitching textures. If there is, just change the position a tiny bit. Examples:

Position where it goes though the wall:

OlmWbjn.png

Position before it goes through the wall:

CwKMXUe.png

Position in the middle

Yv31cyk.png

4: Now copy your portal to the other wall that you want your character to end up.

Spoiler

CZD0szm.png

5: Optional: If you want to make things ten times more complicated and add see through portals then read the spoiler. If not, just texture the portal blue or something to your liking.

I am not going to go through great detail in this but this is what you have to do. Create cameras for the portals you have. Parent them. Then change the textures of the sphere/portal to the camera that is showing its destination. The only problem I have with this is that sometimes, mine-imator switches your main cameras and switch it to your portal camera. Another problem with this is the fact that if you are not using a static camera, you have to make the camera (parented to the portal) move as if you are looking through a window.

6: Animating your player: Please read before you start. The steps for now on can be the hardest parts of the tutorial. Make sure you save before you start this step (you will be saving more times later). Create The animation where your character goes through the portal.

Spoiler

notoSqC.png

7: Moving through the portal Part 1: Make sure the character is not visible and he/she went completely through the portal. My method of real time teleporting is copying the player to the spot where he/she it going. To do this, copy all the animations that have the character touching/going through the portal. Don't copy them individually, just click and drag in the timeline. Once you have the movements/animations selected, click on the copy button (the button with 2 dirt blocks). You should now have another instance/copy for your character.

8: Moving through the portal Part 2: This is the part that takes some time. Move your copied character to your other portal, and try mirror it like this example

Spoiler

UKtMxah.png

Once you do this, play your animation. Your rotations should be the same but your movement direction might not be the same (opposite). Fix the animations and do not get lazy. This is what makes quality content.

9: Once you are done, you can finish your animation or make your character go through another portal and this process repeats.

Edited by GbStudio

2 hours ago, The Animator said:

Ach, see the star trek beaming process? im a fan of star trek and i like the effects. Watch it, and if you see a way on how to fit this into an animation, make a tutorial.

Oh, I knew what that was. I thought you were talking about Portal

So the optional step...

I tried to do it but...it doesn't show the mobs in front of the cameras (I have 2 portals set up and one of them has a camera and a zombie in front of it.I set the 2nd portal that texture and it only sees the ground and clouds)

FIXED IT

Edited by CoolGabrijel