As an animator, how frustrating is it to see 0edit content getting millions of views?

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

People put effort into what they like to do only. It's not about the money or subs or likes, it's just because it's a hobby. People who are into money, subs and likes that got famous aren't real YouTubers.

So that means that PewDiePie, Markiplier, and other Youtubers are NOT actually Youtubers? Meh.

Aw ye I can be a apart of this, well... blah blah blah math blah blah blah Youtube blah blah blah money. Okay now that we are done with all the addon talk mate let's move onto what being a true animator is about, well from my perspective anyways. Being an animator is not about earning thousands of dollars (which you might need), or getting all these subscribers/probably fans (though it would be nice), it's about offering humor, adventure, joy, sadness, info and etc. to the viewers you have (even if it's just one). I animate for the reaction of my audience because I love to imagine how they feel while watching it. You animate just for the money,

(which might not be the best idea because of how vast Youtube is)  and if that's the case, why are you animating at all? Not to be rude, but there are loads of jobs out there that pay more than animation. To conclude, animation is an art used to tell a story, explain something, or just express yourself. It may be a job but I hope all animators can agree that it is more than that in their own way. I thank you for your time mate and I hope I got something through to you. :D

I animate because I love constantly making new content. And put a lot of work into it to get the satisfaction. ;)

Sure.. It bothers me sometimes that terrible content on Youtube gets a lot of views sometimes. But it doesn't make me lose hope on my content.

Also, you have like what you do (not just in animating but anything..) making money out of it comes after that.

As an animator, i enjoy making animation, because i like putting my story, dreams, inspiration into an animation.

I don't like when my animation got less view and feedback, it just like i made something that is a garbage.

I enjoy animating, and i ENJOY more if my animation got a lot of views, but it's just too hard.

I met someone who is quite popular on instagram in real life, Gotta help her by sharing my minecraft animation wallpapers (she's a minecrafter too, and just doing screenshot and drawings), in exchange of advertising my animation, fair enough.

If you got a popular person nearby in real life, get him to your favor, benefit each other.

Edited by XanderTheV

Aw ye I can be a apart of this, well... blah blah blah math blah blah blah Youtube blah blah blah money. Okay now that we are done with all the addon talk mate let's move onto what being a true animator is about, well from my perspective anyways. Being an animator is not about earning thousands of dollars (which you might need), or getting all these subscribers/probably fans (though it would be nice), it's about offering humor, adventure, joy, sadness, info and etc. to the viewers you have (even if it's just one). I animate for the reaction of my audience because I love to imagine how they feel while watching it. You animate just for the money,

(which might not be the best idea because of how vast Youtube is)  and if that's the case, why are you animating at all? Not to be rude, but there are loads of jobs out there that pay more than animation. To conclude, animation is an art used to tell a story, explain something, or just express yourself. It may be a job but I hope all animators can agree that it is more than that in their own way. I thank you for your time mate and I hope I got something through to you. :D

"You animate just for the money,"

Wrong. I animate because i like it as a hobby when I got some free time, that's irrelevant to my initial post.

Edited by moniker

"You animate just for the money,"

Wrong. I animate because i like it as a hobby when I got some free time, that's irrelevant to my initial post.

Then please disregard that accusation I have made of you mate, I apologize and let me say that when making content a person does not get noticed mostly for their videos and effort put into said videos, but for the way they represent it. Have a good title for videos, a name that can be remembered, tags, thumbnails, profile pic and overall when you post the video. If I am missing some items then please tell me but I want to say again if I already did say it, Youtube is a vast website, it can be cruel, it can be rewarding, but when making a channel, you accept the challenge with all consequences whether bad or good that comes with it. Only you can decide to pass or fail ( I am close to failing because of lack of content btw). I want to be repetitive real quick to apologize again, it was wrong for me to accuse without concrete proof.

(The reason I write so much here is because it gives me something to actually do that is on these forums, I have been stuck up with work lately...)

Then please disregard that accusation I have made of you mate, I apologize and let me say that when making content a person does not get noticed mostly for their videos and effort put into said videos, but for the way they represent it. Have a good title for videos, a name that can be remembered, tags, thumbnails, profile pic and overall when you post the video. If I am missing some items then please tell me but I want to say again if I already did say it, Youtube is a vast website, it can be cruel, it can be rewarding, but when making a channel, you accept the challenge with all consequences whether bad or good that comes with it. Only you can decide to pass or fail ( I am close to failing because of lack of content btw). I want to be repetitive real quick to apologize again, it was wrong for me to accuse without concrete proof.

(The reason I write so much here is because it gives me something to actually do that is on these forums, I have been stuck up with work lately...)

Again, whether it's for money or not, simply putting a video on Youtube doesn't get it views. Marketing and other tactics like proper tagging, social media, unique thumbnails, being in related communities, collabs, etc is how people get so many views. I released a not so great modded Skyrim series and the very first video had over 1k views in just a week because I was marketing it. Released some other series and didn't market them and almost nothing. They might as well not have been uploaded.

It is sad though that people are recognized more for their PR and marketing skills than for the quality of their content, but isn't it like that for most things? The music industry comes to mind for one. I've seen some amazing animators on here who deserve more recognition for their work.

The best marketing wins.  Whether it's the iPhone, or Google, or Abercrombie & Fitch, if you're product isn't on people's lips, you aren't earning the maximum (or any) amount of cash.

I'm sure we can all name something that is soo much better than something else, but it never got to be number one.  A book, a movie, a band, a game...

One of my favourite games is Flat-out ultimate carnage, how many people have heard of that?  I've never played GTA, and Halo to me is just another linear FPS that I suck at.  The Room is a great game for phones and tablets, yet a lot more people heard about angry birds and flappy birds.

If you want to get noticed, I reckon you will either have to outsource your marketing, or spend longer marketing than you do animating, at least initially.  There must be a magic number, whether it's 10k or 1.5 million subscribers that the marketing becomes less of a chore/self sustaining, at least until the fad passes and the next shiny thing comes along.

I do agree with this a bit, i only agree with creating a long animations that does take along time to make, but you have to understand that when these youtubers started like skydoesminecraft or any other, they took there time to sit down record for god knows how long, buy the stuff, they work hard too. plus a youtuber is ment to be in it for the fun and making the people who watch them happy and come back for more, not money or fame.

People put a lot of effort into managing their channel, recording, planning, having a schedule, getting the latest equipment etc etc.

It's a lot harder to succeed as a "let's player" compared to working for a  film company like pixar.

I'd honestly give all the people who record themselves playing videogames a little more fame if I could but sadly I'm just one person.

If you do not agree with me then I'd love to hear why. Maybe someday I'll change my mind. <3

I think the reason people are popular on YouTube is because of their personalities, not the effort put into the video.

Take VanossGaming for example. He just presses record while he's just goofing off with his friends. His videos are hilarious though, because he and his friends have great personalities, but there is minimal editing going into the videos.

But don't get me wrong, there is a lot of effort that goes into making a video (especially when you're waiting for it to render  ;-;). It's just that making the videos actually enjoyable to watch helps a lot when it comes to making videos.

Also people want to watch people. Real people. They want someone to go to when they're feeling down, not an animation. They want someone that actually feels, someone they know will be there for them when they want a good laugh, or if they just had a bad day. I really can't say the same for animations. Animations take a long time to make, and usually aren't that long. But with let's players and vloggers, you get good videos constantly to go to when you need someone to go to.

Know what I'm sayin'?

Edited by Colonel Muffin

the world sucks, the only reason i have over 100k subs is probably because of fighter's player school series, but it was a trend so everyone tried to cash in on it.

I unintentionally joined the bandwagon, I didn't even know until i realized how many school parodies there are, they all failed (except for willcraft and some other people)  because they wanted to use it for money, i only did it out of pure boredom.

Edited by Shane

On 28/8/2016 at 9:49 PM, Shane said:

the world sucks, the only reason i have over 100k subs is probably because of fighter's player school series, but it was a trend so everyone tried to cash in on it.

I unintentionally joined the bandwagon, I didn't even know until i realized how many school parodies there are, they all failed (except for willcraft and some other people)  because they wanted to use it for money, i only did it out of pure boredom.

Damn how did you manage to get 32 million views on that video? I see you still get a bit under 1 million views per month. Those videos will probably keep making passive income for life since they will keep getting recommended by youtube due the amount of views it has so its a pretty good deal, no wonder people tried to cash out on the minecraft school thing.

11 minutes ago, Snake said:

Damn how did you manage to get 32 million views on that video? I see you still get a bit under 1 million views per month. Those videos will probably keep making passive income for life since they will keep getting recommended by youtube due the amount of views it has so its a pretty good deal, no wonder people tried to cash out on the minecraft school thing.

unless you're a channel with more than 1mill subs like le@fy, luna, gnomealert or pyrocycnical, youtube does pay you money, but it's barely enough to even rent an apartment

i'm learning computers as a safety net to fall to if youtube fails me when i'll need my money

Edited by Shane

On 10/9/2016 at 6:39 PM, Shane said:

unless you're a channel with more than 1mill subs like le@fy, luna, gnomealert or pyrocycnical, youtube does pay you money, but it's barely enough to even rent an apartment

i'm learning computers as a safety net to fall to if youtube fails me when i'll need my money

unfortunately making a living from animations seems impossible. Subscriber count means nothing, its views that matters, and unfortuantely your latest videos get no views compared to your 200k sub count, but still, it's a good extra of income if you can get the passive views around at around 1 million by uploading a video every once in a while so the channel doesnt seem abandoned.

have you considered transitioning into a gaming channel? maybe not in the same channel but a separate channel. starting with 200k subs would be easier than starting from scratch. unfortunately it seems gaming is one of the few ways to make a living form youtube since it allows you to churn out videos constantly.

27 minutes ago, Snake said:

have you considered transitioning into a gaming channel? maybe not in the same channel but a separate channel. starting with 200k subs would be easier than starting from scratch. unfortunately it seems gaming is one of the few ways to make a living form youtube since it allows you to churn out videos constantly.

The gaming section in youtube is full with gaming channels and videos, unless some famous gaming channel gives you a shout--out, your channel with be buried along the other gaming channel copies.

since animations is relativity lacking in it's videos, it's easier to get more views for supplying viewers with a somewhat new original idea, but these days if you want to make money out of youtube, just report/create drama tto draw attention or just hop on the bandwagon and upload drama in minecraft like FHub