As an animator, how frustrating is it to see 0edit content getting millions of views?

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Im just asking because since I do this for a hobby, I see the amount of time it takes to create a decent 5 minute animation. Meanwhile you got all those youtubers with 0 talent making thousands of dollars monthly by pressing record and playing some Minecraft and whatnot.

Why put effort into the details when you aren't rewarded accordingly? Most people here are probably young but once you reach my age you'll see that

1) You NEED money

2) Time is limited

3) People don't reward quality, usually. Case in point, top 10 youtubers. Who is an excellent animator?

Edited by moniker

Then get a real job. I don't see how you're getting so frustrated over a simple problem.

People like what they do, whether it's talent or not, the internet works the way it does.

I do have a real job, I run a couple of business. Im 30. Again im not serious on my animations. All im saying is, if I was trying to put 100% into it, it would be frustrating. As a kid you can do what you like because you have 100% of time, once you get a real job have fun trying to finish high quality animations.

And even if you managed to grow in Youtube, the way things are paid, you just wouldn't benefit from quality. A guy with 1 million subscribers uploading 1 gameplay video daily will make more money than a guy with 1 million subscribers uploading 1 animation or 2 monthly (which is what would take to create a good 10 minute animation or so, and that's if you could spend enough time on it without working a real job.

Edited by moniker

Now as the others already mentioned, money isn't everything, but the same thing what you said applies to popularity and fanbase in general. The most people on youtube don't care for quality except when it's like a bad microphone or a REALLY bad video, they don't see what effort you put in your video creation, most of them want stupid entertainment, they want to "get funny-nized" (if you know what I mean) and if you watch most of the big let's players of youtube, they serve exactly that group of people. Most of these people are very young (nothing against you young people here :3, but you got to agree that there are a lot stupid young people on the internet) and they can't see the effort behind a video.

In a nutshell, it's not about the views, the money, or the respect. It's about doing what you love. When you weigh the value in what you make as a hobby, it loses the point of being a hobby.

I get relatively good views with a good subscriber count. But after seeing a friend of mine stop being a let's player leave because he realized the views weren't genuine, it really wakes up what the community is like. Yeah there are some people who enjoy your content, but it feels so lifeless and empty when all your subs latched on for just one/two videos.

If you want to make money on your hobby, then at least do it for charity or explain why you need the money. (Some youtubers who live off their youtube money like JWittz actually live up to a standard to ensure their viewers get the best out of each video, all the while constantly improving)

How do you know? do the math.

They earn pennies off their Youtube views. 100k makes around 1k per video. It's a lot of cash, but if most famous youtubers spend that cash on charity, then they aren't really getting a lot.

In any case, you're picking a fight off of this instead of the other points listed above? I understand having 100k viewers vs making a video and getting 30 views can be a little discouraging, but that's the only point I'm getting from this.

Edited by ÜberKiller

In a nutshell, it's not about the views, the money, or the respect. It's about doing what you love. When you weigh the value in what you make as a hobby, it loses the point of being a hobby.

I get relatively good views with a good subscriber count. But after seeing a friend of mine stop being a let's player leave because he realized the views weren't genuine, it really wakes up what the community is like. Yeah there are some people who enjoy your content, but it feels so lifeless and empty when all your subs latched on for just one/two videos.

If you want to make money on your hobby, then at least do it for charity or explain why you need the money. (Some youtubers who live off their youtube money like JWittz actually live up to a standard to ensure their viewers get the best out of each video, all the while constantly improving)

They earn pennies off their Youtube views. 100k makes around 1k per video. It's a lot of cash, but if most famous youtubers spend that cash on charity, then they aren't really getting a lot.

In any case, you're picking a fight off of this instead of the other points listed above? I understand having 100k viewers vs making a video and getting 30 views can be a little discouraging, but that's the only point I'm getting from this.

Lol charity?

Again, there are tons, tons, tons of people with 100-500K subscribers churning gameplays that get those views daily, they aren't famous outside their niches.

And again, im glad you are ok with it and do what you like.

Lol charity?

Again, there are tons, tons, tons of people with 100-500K subscribers churning gameplays that get those views daily, they aren't famous outside their niches.

And again, im glad you are ok with it and do what you like.

I think you're exxagerating with "Tons". If there were tons of youtubers with those amounts of viewers, I think Youtube would go in bankrupcy (Or maybe not because of their ads)

And yes. Youtubers like Markiplier have donated money. Him, for example. Donated money to a children's hospital.

Edited by Marty McFly
Grammar correction

Of course, the problem I see is not people who should (in their opinion) have more views, but people having too many views for content produced.

I have a classmate, he makes 0 effort content, no production value, He makes PvP videos but he sucks in PvP, the whole video is just very cringy, and he has 250 subs and a lot of views. Then you go to videos which have a big production value, high effort intros, outros, nice overlays and the person is actually good in what they do, they still don't get as many views as the other guy. Maybe because he makes a video every 7 days and the other guy makes a video every 3 days because he doesn't edit his videos good.

So the thing that annoys me is not necessarily people getting not enough views (you should do videos as a hobby except when you're REALLY big), but people with content which is just crap getting a lot of views and then thinking their content is good. Other people see that content and the amount of viewers and start their youtube channel with even less quality content and on and on and on and on

I think you're exxagerating with "Tons". If there were tons of youtubers with those amounts of viewers, I think Youtube would go in bankrupcy (Or maybe not because of their ads)

The Ads pay Youtube.
The Ad provider pays them per click, view, time and region on your videos, and Youtube gives you a very small percentage of revenue the Ad company pays for having it on your video while the rest goes to Youtube. :P

Nope, I don't get frustrated at all. I just animate for fun, Ive never planned on making money off of animations. Maybe in the future I could possibly get a job as an animator if I'm good enough and make money that way. Probably the most bothersome thing to me are channels that post smaller You-Tubers content to "advertise" A.K.A make money off of other people.

For me getting views is nothing to me i just want record what i want to share on my videos and maybe.. If i became a big channel and maybe get some many money ill go in charity donate some of it.. And go in my family give some money and lastly i will never forget david to donate money for doing an awesome minecraft animating program <3 and maybe have fun the forumers i met and do collabs and play with dem in minecraft 

Good video.

And for the OP: There is a lot that goes into getting subs and viewers on youtube. Marketing and branding has a lot to do with it. Using proper video titles. Tags are extremely important. Being constantly active in communities that are related to your videos is probably the most important. Social media marketing. Getting sponsorships and pushing other products and services on your videos. It's a business for those who are monetizing and making so much money and getting all the subs and views and they are good at what they do (regardless of video content). Making awesome videos alone simply isn't enough.

Most of the "top gamers" on youtube appeal to a certain audience for a reason and it works. I personally can't stand youtube videos from people like pewdiepie (no disrespect intended, I just don't like his videos). The videos are silly and appeal only to kids and young teens IMO and there is where most of his sub base is. The more mature gamers that do awesome videos tend to get less subs and recognition. It's the de-evolution of the human race or something,

If someone is on to youtube to make money, that is their first mistake. Those at the top are a combination of lucky and know how to market in such a way that it drives traffic to their channel. From what I can tell, the sub base snow balls after a certain point and the channel is self-sustaining from then on out as long as content is being released, regardless of content quality.

The Ads pay Youtube.The Ad provider pays them per click, view, time and region on your videos, and Youtube gives you a very small percentage of revenue the Ad company pays for having it on your video while the rest goes to Youtube. :P

Most of a channel's income isn't made on ads anyway. It comes from pushing other brands and getting sponsorships and partnerships with established businesses that pay hefty amounts of money for advertising them on your channel. One company may see your channel and contact you and be like "Hey, we like your channel. We'll give you $2,000 to mention us in your next five videos", and that is where most of the revenue comes from.

And yes. Youtubers like Markiplier have donated money. Him, for example. Donated money to a children's hospital.

Go on socialblade and order channels by subscribers, theres tons with millions of subscribers, let alone half a million.

Most Youtubers such as PooDiePie, Markiplier, JackCepticEye, SethBling, SkyDoesMinecraft(terrible), and others got their fame through video games and face cam gameplay or even collaboration from another Youtuber(Bumbum007 and TehNoobShow).

It's really hard to earn a ton of likes, views, and subscribers. Even though I have 2 YT Channels and one of those channels earn money, earning some cash is really difficult though. For me, I earn about $0.5 every month(laugh it up) and I still no worries except for dislikes which lower down the earnings like $0.1 or nothing.

Heck, I don't even called Famous Youtubers "Lucky" because of high subscribers and a million dollars. It's just effort.

Edited by Notorious TheRageMC