How to create maplestory animations

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Tutorial Difficulty: [Easy]
blah blah blah intro

anyways, you will need a maplestory sprite sheet of your character, if you don't have one, don't worry! i'll teach you how!

if you already have one, skip this part.

PART 1: Getting a spritesheet

the first thing you want to do is go to Bannedstory (AKA mapleSimulator)

Scroll down and click the "Click to start BannedStory 4" button

now this will appear

0a61b617e2.png

Only check the "Character and Equipment" checkbox, once you've done that, press start.

now, press 0 to open the "Gallery" (aka character creator thingy)

if pressing 0 does nothing, go to Window > Thumbnail Gallery, and voila!

8eb04a360a.png

Now you can create your character!

heres mine it's so hawt :3 b0eafb6198.png

(small tip: when making a character, try keeping him as simple as possible, this will come in handy in later tutorials)

Anyways, when you're done making your character, press File > Save Sprite Sheet > Normal Sprite Sheet

Now make a folder for your sprite sheet, and extract all the sprites to the folder

And you are done! congratulations!

PART 2: Importing

Now that you have a sprite sheet, you can start using them! 
Begin by downloading This rig, it's a rig i made for maplestory animations (my first one was too messy, so i organized it this time)
**Also, this rig is still a WIP, so currently there are only Standing and Walking animation presets, i'll add more later on**
it should look like this:
d5a8904d31.png
Well, now all you need to do is start importing your sprites!

PART 3: Animating

Animating with 2d sprites is like Frame-by-frame animations, so it should look something like this:
ecf7769740.png
As you can see, in the walk cycle, i move my character to another place, and i change the sprite every 3 frames.
To change the sprite, you create a new keyframe, go to the "Texture" section and change the sprite to the next one
(for example, if you're currently on walk1_1, the next keyframe should change the sprite to walk1_2)

PART 4: Final Stuff 

Well, that's pretty much it, but if you don't like the background or want to change something, you can go to bannedstory to get some more backgrounds, weapons, sprites, faces, and what not

Also, i didn't talk about custom poses and how to apply them to your character
(that's why i said in the tip that you should make your character as simple as possible (that's why mine has no shoes) )
i will talk about them in another tutorial, but for now, i think thats about it.
Also, if you're having any problems, talk to me and i'll try to fix them!
Enjoy animating!
Edited by Shane

It's a bit inefficient to have surfaces for an animated texture when you can do that in one surface. Simply load up all of the images you want to use, load a surface, and make a keyframe. Make another, go down to the texture and select the next image in sequence.

You'll notice that moving between the first and second keyframe, the texture changes to during the keyframes. This is animated texture support done in Mine-imator the simple way.

That will save you the pain of loading in every image and repositioning it which is a total pain.

It's a bit inefficient to have surfaces for an animated texture when you can do that in one surface. Simply load up all of the images you want to use, load a surface, and make a keyframe. Make another, go down to the texture and select the next image in sequence.

You'll notice that moving between the first and second keyframe, the texture changes to during the keyframes. This is animated texture support done in Mine-imator the simple way.

That will save you the pain of loading in every image and repositioning it which is a total pain.

I didn't even know that's possible .-.

Thanks Über! i'll edit the rig and the tutorial :D