Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Cinema Scope Tutorial  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Did this help?

• Yes
    • No

Hello! I am The Tan James!

or that guy who is making a huge movie and has been doing it for 2 years

So over these past years i have learned a couple of strategies on cinematic effects to Animations. 

The Best Strategy for making your animation look Cinematic is in fact the simplest. 

The Cinema Scope

Now first you may wonder, what is a cinema scope and what does it do?

Well a cinema scope is basically the black bars that you see on the top and bottom of a frame in the movies.
But what does it do and how does it help?

Well look at the picture below here without the Cinema Scope,

F49D7hq.png

And the same picture  with the Cinema Scope

Uzyuj8t.png

Now I'm sure you can agree that the second image reminds you of a movie alot more, Now that we are on the same page I will show
you how you can accomplish a Cinema Scope. It is possible to be made in 2 easy ways

1. Screen Ratio (Only works for 1080p Resolution, Recommended because it reduces footage cropping):
Go to the render Settings of your animation and change the resolution to custom, Adjust it to 1920 x 816. And do your appropriate converting from avi to other video formats if you do so, (Handbrake is suggested for conversion). Now open you're 3rd party video editing software and make the composition 1920 x 1080 and import your animation and it should have the cinema scope applied.

2. CinemaScope.png (Useful for all animations that use the aspect ratio of 16:9)
Render you project in a regular 16:9 screen Ratio (HD, 2K, and 4K contain that aspect Ratio) Once rendered, Convert your video using a 3rd party software though this is not mandatory but it is recommended to reduce lag/memory take-up.  Open your 3rd Party video editing software (Windows Live will not work for this) and then create an 1080p composition/project. Import your animation and then if it is possible, Overlay the .png image (in the spoiler below over) the video and you're done! 

4pE9QbE.jpg

I hope this helped! I have taught a number of people this strategy (Including SKIBBZ)
And i hope that this will help you with your animating. Leave a like if you enjoyed please! :D

but noe I has to get rid of some of teh beautiful surroundings if i add those black bars :(

(you know what animation I am referring to)

Naw, but I guess it's cool cuz I can move my video around behind the black bars, focusing on the parts I want. Thanks Tan James!

Edited by ironwavestudios

but noe I has to get rid of some of teh beautiful surroundings if i add those black bars :(

Naw, but I guess it's cool cuz I can move my video around behind the black bars, focusing on the parts I want. Thanks Tan James!

your ones are too bootiful already,no need for them :D

I don't know... I've never seen a reason behind those black bars except that they make you see less vertically, and personally I think there are many other things that you could use the time to make an animation for than some black bars at the top and bottom....

If you make the render setting a cinematic ascpect ratio then nothing gets cropped out.

What if you create a flat surface in front of the camera, then parent it to the camera so it will always stay there. And set the texture of the flat surface to the bars?

You can but its not as accurate and if you have to make bright flashes of light, or change the colour of the camera then the black bars are affected as well