Character Movement Tutorial #1 - Center of Balance, Walking with Coordination

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Okay, a lot of people have been asking me how my animations are so smooth... a lot...

No worries, I didn't make this post to brag, instead, to make a tutorial on one of the most important, charisma bringing parts of an animation.

This Tutorial will be about character walking movement.

To start off, I think the majority of your mistakes are (Not promoting myself :D) the pace that your character walks

Instead of telling you to just coordinate your footing of your character, I will tell you the detailed perception of a walking formula!

The Walking Formula:

Okay. When you stand, you have a center of balance. And it will be your feet (generally with no other obstacles)

tutorial1_by_craftinpark-d7ry9dq.png

Now, if you lean on your right foot, like the picture to your down, your balance will be on your right foot

tutorial2_by_craftinpark-d7rya4q.png

You can move the left foot any way you want!

But the foot you have your center of balance on will never move.

It will never glide, float, shift, or shake unless you fall

So when you walk, your balance is moving from the leg you left off from, and the leg that walked on.

Assuming you all know how to walk, this is the way your character should be moving as well.

Because the foot with center of balance can never move, the foot you're walking on should not glide.

Yeah, I know, I know, we know how to walk. But I wouldn't be saying it this precise if everyone made this mistake in their animations  :D

If steve's right leg leaves off at one point, until steve changes his center of balance, his leg should, remember, not glide, float, shift, or shake unless he is to fall

This is a proper walk that steve performs

Notice his feet leaving off always stays put until the next foot does the same

Here is an improper walk that steve performs

so in order to fix this problem, I made a formula for walking!!!

I decided the formula in text was too difficult to understand, so I made a .mproj file instead

Download is below!

DOWNLOAD

Hope this helps with your animations and stops bugging my profile with requests!!!